Lavender Lemonade

IMG_6570

Im back from London, and I already miss the Queen, the polite taxi drivers, and Beefeater (the gin and the red-coated dudes with the bear skin hats).

London is so lovely. The only problem is that I always feel like Im doing something disastrously rude or uncouth. I dont hold my fork and knife in the correct hands. Im not sure if Im allowed to clink my tea cup. Good grief, I think I just slurped my tea. Holy smokes thats the third time Ive almost been hit by a car. Which way am I supposed to look down the street!?!?

Im back in Venice where I can put my feet up on things, and slurp whatever I see fit. Theres a super hippie drum circle taking place down the road no matter what I do, I look pretty posh in comparison.

In honor of thirst and homecomings, Ive gussied up a pitcher of lemonade using dried lavender. Its simple and divine. Most likely Queen and drum circle approved.

IMG_6555

IMG_6430

Lemons into lemonade.

Lavender into lemonade instead of a sachet.

IMG_6446

My parents got this juicer as a wedding gift in 1979. Much like my parents, its never ! allowed to die.

IMG_6454

Lavender is steeped in a mixture of warm water, sugar and honey.

The slightly brown color behind the dried lavender buds is natural sugar dissolved in water. Honey adds to the color.

This mixture is super fragrant. Spa and nap inspiring.

IMG_6533

Lets play find the kitten nose.

This lavender lemonade is totally going to be a summer staple. Topped with a bit of unsweetened iced tea its just perfect.

Everyone likes their lemonade to taste different. Some like it sweet. Some like it tart. This version leans towards the sweeter side. Feel free to adjust as you find necessary.

Lavender Lemonade

makes about 8 cups

Print this Recipe!

2 cups water

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup honey

3 heaping tablespoons dried culinary lavender

2 cups fresh lemon juice

4 cups water (plus more to your taste)

In a medium pot over medium heat, combine 2 cups water, and sugar. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in honey and lavender. Cover and let steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain out lavender and press buds into the bottom of the strainer to release any syrup left behind.

In a large pitcher, combine lemon juice, lavender syrup, and water. Stir and chill. Serve cold, over ice.


No comments:

Post a Comment