Banana Leaf Rice @ Devi's Corner, Bangsar

IMG_7549

Too much Chinese food with all the celebrations?


How about a little spice, rice and a real banana leaf to entice you to carbo heaven?


I was rather surprised the other day when someone told me they had the best ever banana leaf rice at Devi's Corner.




IMG_7536


Hence one lazy weekend, I decided to take the risk...and descended into food coma brought on by the excessive rice, meat and vegetables consumed in one go.


Located on the upstairs section, obviously everyone else in town was in the know versus moi since the place was packed to the brim.


We slot ourselves in between families waiting to be served. Service is a tad slow but we get going with our "real" banana leaf (no fake paper stuff as served in Kanna Curry House).


IMG_7542




Plop comes the piping hot white rice...shaped in a carbo mountain with a snowy peak.


Next the vegetables and condiments.. it all goes down and the other half whispers to me..."they serve five items here instead of the usual three."
!

I nod in slow agreement as I notice this place definitely does not stint on portions as my cucumbers in yoghurt, deep-fried bittergourd, curry vegetables and etc could have kept my tummy happy for the whole weekend.




IMG_7541




Then came the curries - dhals, chicken, fish and who can resist, the crab one that I relished each rich coconut milk laden spoonful of it with my rice.


They also had mutton curry, which must be highly sought after as the Indian family of five boys were all ordering this.


Hmmm...next time I must order the mutton I make a mental note to myself.


IMG_7538




We add fried chicken called Chicken 65 or was it 69?


God knows but it's tender and delicious with a reddish coating.


Equally good was the deep fried sotong glistening with a yellow tinge from the heavy hand of turmeric and their scattering of curry leaves.


The jaws get cracking on the crunchy pappadums and they even give us dessert - multi coloured bhindi, fried dough bits that look like tiny teardrops.


One can't help but rub the tummy in satisfaction as the spices gently burn inside.


Ahhh...such satisfaction as you amble down the st! airs and into an afternoon nap at home.


This is truly the best way to enjoy a lazy Malaysian weekend.


Devi's Corner
14 Jalan Telawi 4
Bangsar


Tel: 03-2282 7591


(Halal. Banana leaf rice is available during lunchtime and upstairs. For more pictures, see my Flickr set.)


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. This review is time sensitive; changes may occur to the place later on that can affect this opinion. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from this place for writing the review.


No comments:

Post a Comment