Choices

I've been asked, "Do I shop at Ralph Lauren", "Why don't you donate more money to charity", "Why don't you join the group" and "Why do you own this blog".


Why? The answer is simple: Choices.

Sometimes, the choices I make can come across as against the norm for others but like everyone, there is a reason for the choices I make.

For instance, I don't donate money to charity because I just don't donate money. I donate food, blood, books and clothes but never money because I cannot see where the money is going. I donate my time and energy, rather than money. Just because I give coins and not dollar bills, people started wondering if I was actually trying to make people's life miserable. In my mom's and my opinion, coins are still money. I pick up 1 cent coins all the time, hey.

I may appear really pretentious but it's just an "appearance". And as the saying goes, you don't judge the book by its cover. I never think of myself highly.am a mere mortal. Not Jesus Christ. I do not claim to be good yet it is wrong to see me as evil. The reason why I don't do group dinners is just because I don't. It's awkward to dine in a group because it's just awkward. Also, I have a mission to fulfill, which I feel, is best done in private. The mission relates to tapping into restaurants and share the experience to my family members and the public. It looks voyeuristic because it is as if you are seeing the entire experience from my personal lenses. I do not deny that it is not but there is a point in doing this.

I never claimed that the choices I make are superior than the rest.I do not just go fine dining every single day. I just happen to enjoy good food and not eat fast food because I was not raised to do so.Good food, for me can be a piece of fruit that I really like or chicken testicles. It does ! not have to be white Alba truffles (never ate that before) or some expensive cut of meat.

This blog is just an opinion like any other opinion. And it is a miracle that this opinion is valued. Sometimes, even the most random people drop me an email, thanking me for blogging about the places they do not usually go because they need someone to assure them that their choices are correct. Other times, I make mistakes because the opinion is flawed. For that, I can have only myself to blame.

I have reasons for the choices I make and sometimes, they do not make much sense for those who are not in my position. I do not expect to be understood. Having said that, I am glad that from this blog, I know a group of people who share the same passions as I do.

To finish this non-food post, I shall quoteParanoid Android, who wrote such a timely post, when I was about to write one like his with less finesse:

"I have been accused of being an elitist, a pseudo intellectual and a snob so many times in life, I've lost count.I don't just hang out with people who fine dine. The quantum of satisfaction I get from beautifully prepared nyonya fish and a perfect piece of Toro is probably the same.Nor do I hang around elitists who quote Sartre and discuss post modernist art over salmon and cocktails all the time." -Paranoid Android

What he had written in this paragraph, was what I wanted to express in this blog. And Paranoid Android is a perfectionist when it comes to food. In the food blogging community, he is one of a kind and as part of the community, I really appreciate that. Paranoid Android, if you are reading this, can we please have lunch someday?



No comments:

Post a Comment