Toast & Roast Hakka Mee & Char Siew @ SS2

I know Toast & Roast has been blogged to death. But surprisingly there are still quite a number of people (even PJ-ians) who are not aware of this small eatery located in the quiet neighborhood behind Tropicana City Mall. It is easy to drive past this row of shops and pass them as normal houses because they are quite hidden from view. And those whom I have brought here have been hooked on the Hakka Mee and Char Siew since.The good thing about Toast & Roast is the affordable price. They are basically charging the same price as any hawkers out there and the environment is better too being cleaner and not stuffy. A small bowl of Hakka Mee here is RM4.50 may it be topped with minced meat or char siew. Although they are generous with the toppings (minced meat/char siew/lard) the noodles portion is still quite small. So I usually order the large one at RM5.50 as shown here. For the extra portion of noodles given, the RM1 is worth spending.The Hakka Mee here is nicely done with just the right amount of seasoning. Usually, a dash of pepper is all I add to make it taste more interesting. Theres only one issue I have with the Hakka Mee, which is the inconsistency. On a good day, it would be lovely but dry and a little lumpy on a bad day. I do, however, notice that the bad would happen when I order the Hakka Mee big. That being said comes this dilemma of whether to have it small or big because ordering the former always leave me unsatisfied and wanting for more lol.

As for the Char Siew I wouldnt say its fantastic but it certainly belongs to the better ones. A small portion is RM7 and pun fei sao is my favorite cut. I always feel that if those charred caramelized edg! es are n ot present in the char siew, then I would not enjoy it. A nicely done char siews charred parts would be savory and flavorful without a hint of burnt taste while the sinfully delicious fat would just melt in the mouth. This plate of char siew had all the characteristics so it was great.Crispy fish roll @ RM5 is a new dish here. The crispiness is perhaps the only thing I like, otherwise it was tasted kinda fishy with a smell I cannot quite put my finger on. Re-used oil maybe?Besides Hakka Mee and Char Siew they also serve green curries but on certain days only. The restaurant tends to get crowded real quick so come early to avoid any parking problems.

Toast & Roast (Char Siew available only 10:30am onwards)
No. 20, Jalan SS2/72
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
GPS Coordinates: N3 07.698 E101 37.675
Tel: 016-682 2249
Closed on alternate Tuesdays
Share


No comments:

Post a Comment