Rhubarb Berry Crumble

Tell me you dont have this obsession of wanting to buy every pretty book or magazine you see in the bookstore. Every time I step into one, Im bound to buy a magazine or a book, except for if I forget to bring any money and when Im in a hurry. Lol. My shelves are crying out loud for lack of space, the books are now all stacked under my working table. But on the bright side, yes were moving and therell be MORE shelve space ><

Ok so the other day I was in a grocer, I saw some nice rhubarb. The first (and only) time I ate rhubarb was in Bills in Sydney 4-5 years ago. It was a crumble; sweet, tangy and sends chills to your spine. Haha!! Im just kidding about the last part.

And the moment I saw the rhubarb, I knew I wanted to make a crumble cause I havent ate a crumble for so so so long! Its just one of those comfort food with sweet and tart warm berries or other fruit to perk you up, and a buttery and crunchy crumb to balance the texture and your palate. Amazing.My brother and I loved it. We couldnt help but ate one bowl each. Haha.Its always nice to have ice cream to go along with crumbles, but this time around no ice cream and it was just as good! But dont take my words for it, make it yourself and youll get wht I meant. :)

Rhubarb & Berries Crumble

(serves 3)

150-200g rhubarb; stalks trimmed, cut into small 2-3cm chunks
200g strawberries & raspberries (you can use either or both)
60g caster sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split seeds scraped

Crumble
120g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1/2 orange zest
50g rolled oats
120g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
pinc! h of sal t

Method.

1. Chop chop rhubarb to 2cm pieces. If you have a big baking dish, make them 3cm.

2. Hull, half or quarter strawberries. Scrap seeds of vanilla pod, add into bowl. Add in rhubarb, strawberry and raspberry and caster sugar. Gently toss or mix so the berries are coated with sugar. Let it macerate for 30 minutes.

3. Spread them into your baking dish. Make sure you have enough of fruits in each of the dish.

4. Make crumble. As the name suggest, just crumble everything together. Or use a food processor to whiz everything till it resembles chunky bits or breadcrumbs. If its a little dry, add in 1 -2 tsp of water to bind them together so you have some larger crumbles and some loose ones. Scatter crumble evenly on top of the rhubarb mixture.

5. Bake in a preheated oven of 200C for 30 minutes (or more for a bigger sized dish) until crisp and golden and the juices from the fruit bubble up through.

6. Cool but serve warm, with a dollop of ice cream.

Oh my, doesnt it matches the new layout ? heheh


No comments:

Post a Comment