heavenly chocolate cake roll

le voila! barely a crack!

This is one of my familys three cakes. The first one, a sour cream cinnamon chocolate chip coffee cake, came from my grandmother and her sisters, and my husband occasionally (but very quietly) threatens to skip family events if nobody is planning to make it. Nobody knows the origin of the second cake, my moms apple cake, but if youve gone to a housewarming party, well, ever and not brought it, well, I think you should have. And this is the third one. We make it on Passover but frankly, theres nothing especially Passover-ish about it, aside from the absence of flour. Theres no ground matzo, theme of exodous or anything particularly religious about the way it is put together. In fact, while were being honest and stuff, theres something particularly unholy about the way its put together in that growing up I used to call it the sh*t cake in honor of the word that kept slipping from my mothers mouth as she tried to roll it without it cracking. It always cracked. Im surprised my mother hasnt killed me yet for sharing her yearly spasm of colorful language on my internet website, but I disappear after this post, well, you know

bittersweet, in convenient 6 oz package
melted chocolate

I attempted to sidestep the expl! etives < a href="http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/03/the-best-chocolate-cake-expletive-free/">a few years ago and shared a doubled version with you that was stacked four high, a layer cake of the finest proportions. I included directions for making it as a roll cake i.e. like a Yule log, or a Yodel, or a Ho-Ho but it seemed wrong not to have a post entirely devoted to the way we actually make it at home, and so I decided I would update the rolled recipe this year. Seeing photos of the process helps, I reasoned.

egg yolkspale yellow yolks and sugaregg whites, stiff peaksfolding egg white cloud into chocolate
the finished batter is light, foamysifting unsweetened cocoa over

... Read the rest of he! avenly c hocolate cake roll on smittenkitchen.com

smitten kitchen 2006-2011. |permalink to heavenly chocolate cake roll | 9 comments to date | see more: Cake, Chocolate, Gluten-Free, Passover, Photo


No comments:

Post a Comment