Best Char Siew in Ipoh. Period.

Succulent. Caramelized. Crispy edges. Roasted sides. Melt in mouth. Do I get my points across now?

Miss your Ipoh food reviews!

Read that tweet earlier this morning, and that was like a jolt to the senses. Much like how it was raining dogs and cats in the middle of last night, complete with eruption of thunders and flashes of lightning. Not a very productive slumber, and I dont foresee this rainy spell in KL to end soon ..

Back to the case at hand. I do think that I have been straying off the beaten path; progressively as time goes by since moving to PJ four months ago. Felt like ages, huh? But I understand that I have been distancing myself from this blog, the readers (especially from Ipoh/Perak) and time allocated for surfing, reading blogs and social networking have become more of a luxury now, compared to the previous times when these were merely pastimes.

If you could lay your hands on a whole slab of caramelized barbecued pork belly (Char Siew), would you have done so?

I admit my fault. I seek penance. And ladies and gentlemen (the true blue Ipohans, Ipohites, or whatever you choose to call yourself ), heres where I think sells the BEST CHAR SIEW in IPOH

Usually, we pre-order the roasted meats (chicken, char siew and siew cheong; aka mixed offal sausages) during festivities. For sure we would be walloping bowls of rice thereafter.

Now if that did not work, then try this;

Lets say if this particular stall comes to KL. And compete against the likes of Meng Kee, Famous Seremban Favourites, etc etc (sorry, havent tried Toast & Roast or 747), then I am sure they can hold their ground and create waves of gastronomical proportions.

No ! joke, es pecially when Bercham Cheong Kee (pronounced as Seong Kee in Cantonese) does not only roast almost perfect Char Siew, but a mean Siew Cheong (those pork sausages with innards), and a commendable roast chicken too. Talk about deadly combo?

Thats how Mum saves time and cut the Char Siew into bite-sized pieces. This slab looks rather lean, but in reality, the pork was tender, moist and perfectly balanced between lean meat and melt-in-mouth layers of fat. You dont even need the accompanying sauce, actually.

Look at that Happy Face. Or wait, I hope he did not have cruel intentions in mind chopping a sausage with a sly smirk?!

Did I go overboard? Nah . after repeated failed attempts at seeking for a Char Siew thats comparable to some of the better ones in KL (sorry, cant find a decent one in Penang in spite of my love for Penangs street food), Cheong Kee managed to impress again and again.

That does not mean that this is the end-all, be-all King of Char Siew in Ipoh. For I am sure there will be feedback from you guys. I expect even some fireworks; from fans and detractors alike.

Since I have experienced below-par Char Siew from Cheong Kee on busier days. But on the whole, if you wanna know where to satisfy your cravings for dark, caramelized, succulent and skilfully roasted pork, then you cant go wrong with Cheong Kee.

There . you dont even notice the crowd, nor whatever theyre selling here. But come during peak hours (lunch only, by the way), or during festivities, then you will bear witness to their immense popularity.

Bercham Cheong Kee Restaurant
12-14, Persiaran Medan Bercham 6,
Pusat Bandar Baru Bercham,
31400 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.
O pens for lunch.
GPS Coordinates : 4.636817,101.134696
Google Map to Cheong Kee

For other Char Siew options in Ipoh Oversea Restaurant, Sun Yeong Wai, Bercham Wong Fee Kee


No comments:

Post a Comment