Soothing Potato, Celery Root and Sunchoke Cream with Purple Potato Chips

from Cannelle et Vanille



When I took these photos last week, I had a different story to tell you. A story about autumn and potatoes. But things changed.

It all started last Friday when J. was complaining about a stomach ache. Then, on Saturday, this stomach ache turned into full blown nasty virus that had all of us bending over with pain. Even poor M. who is not quite one year yet, could not keep anything down. Needless to say it was a rough weekend.



Saturday, I could barely move, but I was the least affected of the four so I somehow managed to make some soup. Soup was the only thing I could picture myself eating. Not this exact one, as I had made and photographed this a few days earlier, but a second batch.

Celery root, sunchokes, potatoes, leeks, thyme, coconut milk... Creamy and light soup that takes no time to make to get us going. It seemed to be the only thing that really helped.



Sunday afternoon, C. and I managed to take alternating naps. I woke up after my two hour siesta revitalized. Nothing some sleep cannot help, no?.

I woke up to an anxious boy in a ninja costume ready to go trick or treating. "is it time yet?", he asked. I got up, took a shower, got dressed and miraculously felt like a new person.

We grabbed some of these leftover pistachio, oat and chocolate shortbreads, which I had been testing the week before and headed to our friends' house where it as all happening. Cookies went down great, but kids were looking for their packaged candy fix.

Oh how I love Halloween.



Potato, Celery Root and Sunchoke Cream with Purple Potato Chips

makes enough for 4 servings

3 Tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 leek, diced
1 medium celery root, peeled and diced
2 sunchokes, peeled and diced
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 springs of fresh thyme
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 qt chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 purple potato, thinly sliced
olive oil to fry


In a large pot, sauté the garlic and leeks in the olive oil for about 1-2 minutes. Do not want to brown them, just sweat them. Add the diced root vegetables, thyme, salt and pepper and saute for another minute.

Add the chicken stock (enough to cover) and bring it to a boil. Simmer and cover the pot. Cook the soup for about 20 minutes and then puree it. Add the coconut milk and adjust seasoning.

In the meantime, slice the purple potato with a mandolin or a super sharp knife (mandolin works best). heat the olive oil and fry the potatoes for about 1 minute until they crisp up. Drain them on paper towels and season with salt and fresh thyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment