Toast & Roast @ SS2, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Over 4 days and 1700+ km, we finally reached Melbourne and where do I even start?

Do I talk about the brilliant stay back in Malaysia, the journey that took us to Coffs Harbour, Sydney and Wangaratta or how my short pants look out of place in Melbourne?

All that being said, we are now on our second day of house hunting and hopefully this doesn't take too much longer. We hope we will finally be able to settle down, our furniture to reach here in one piece, my wife will finally get the job offer that she has been waiting for since Christmas, my work starts and for life to go on.

Meanwhile in the midst of sorting out applications and inspections, I thought before offices open and agents pick up their phones, I should do what I am meant to do best; food blogging.

---

On my very last day, I met up with 2 other food bloggers to catch up over lunch (you can never say no especially when there is a promise of good food). It was a good opportunity to test out the new lens that I have been dying for in the last year or so.


When it comes to char siew (barbecued pork, as some might call it), the undisputed king in my books is Meng Kee. However with that big title , comments like cocky, expensive and inconsistent has surfaced in the year that I have been away and sadly the takeaway char siew rice I tasted straight off the plane was below par.


So where do people go for good char siew, you ask? Don't fret because they are plenty out there who serves a pretty mean version. Try Toast and Roast.
P1020217

If you want to sin, sin all the way and that means ordering the "pun fei sau" version. The cuts of meat reveals a clear half fat and meat proportion and with the sticky glaze sans all the charred bits that will sent you to bottom of the earth, this was a pretty damn good bbq pork. If I was not wearing my tight jeans, I would have ordered another portion to share.

P1020223


Char siew aside, their side dishes is not to be disregarded and I found the green pork curry to be fantastic as well. I found this packed with flavour which means either I have been eating too much watered down versions in Australia or they definitely put in that bit extra.


P1020221

In true asian spirit, one can't eat all the above without some form of noodle or rice. Toast and Roast serves out a pretty al dente Hakka Mee with some minced pork and pork lard. Well worth the calories even if it means walking everywhere I go and eating half portions in Australia.

If that's not enough, the fried dumplings are pretty good and wash it all off with their lemongrass drink. Awesome.

So was the lunch worth coming for? Yes!

Address and contact details:

No. 20, Jalan SS2/72
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
016-682 2249

Verdict: 4 stars out of 5 stars. Definitely coming back here for char siew in my next trip to KL.

No comments:

Post a Comment