Spinach Feta Blood Orange Salad

IMG_2366

My grandmother used to have a house dress, house hair, and house shoes. She made no apologies for boiling her fresh vegetables half way to kingdom come. She sat with her Bible at every spare moment.

I well, I have a house sweater. Its big and grey with floppy sleeves and giant buttons. Its just a house sweater, unless of course I decide that it can handle a quick trip to the store or a quick meet with a friend. It really should stay in the house, as beat up and unattractive as it is but sometimes its just to warm and cozy to part with. I dont even want to talk about introducing the house sweater to someone that youre dating. Thats a whole other beast to tackle.

My grandmother would support my house sweater. Shed nod is quiet understanding. Shed also love that I have her Bible on my nightstand, and I read and reread all the bits she underlined in red pen. This salad? She would not understand. Its entirely to fresh and crisp and unboiled. I suppose thats the difference between her Tennessee blood and my California living.

IMG_2310

IMG_2325

Blood oranges are here and I couldnt be happier. Every orange is different. The red tinting can be subtle or totally bonkers. Beauty fruit. Im so into it!

IMG_2345

I combined sweet blood oranges with creamy avocado, salty feta cheese, and crunchy sunflower seeds.

Spinach too. Fully of flavor and health. On the real.

IMG_2353

This is the sort of salad that you can eat and feel like youre indulging in a good life. Not like youre on a diet. Not like youre depriving yourself of peanut butter cups. This salad is a treat in itself and totally justify peanut butter cups for dessert.

IMG_2389

This salad was inspired by a really lovely book. Tender by Nigel Slater. Its like an encyclopedia for vegetables with gorgeous, simple, indulgent recipes for each vegetable. I love the photographs and recipe lay outs. Very laid back and personal, but beautifully intentional. The man knows has a gorgeous respect for food.

Thanks sister! Major gift!

This recipe is in paragraph form that means take it easy and enjoy the process. Just go with it. Dont have feta cheese? Try goat cheese crumbles. No sunflower seeds? Toasted walnuts would be lovely. No blood oranges? Grapefruit is the way to go!

Spinach Feta Blood Orange Salad

inspired by Tender

Print this Recipe!

Spinach is beautifully matched with citrus and salty feta cheese.

For each person, portion about two handfuls of clean, baby spinach. Peel and thickly slice a blood orange, or whatever citrus you have on hand. Catch as much of the juice as you can and pour it back over the salad with a good drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of fresh cracked black pepper. Toss the spinach with oranges, sliced avocado, a hearty portion of feta cheese crumbles and sunflower seeds. Serve immediately and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment