Zebra Cheesecake Cone

"Black with white stripes or white with black stripes?"

DSC_7038_530x800
Zebra Cone: Creamy, milky sweet white choc cream cheese mouse alternately layered with rich dark choc cream cheese mousse, served very chilled.
PA190002_1067x800
This photo was taken with the Olympus VG-110, a small but powerful, 12 megapixels 4X zoom and you stand a good chance to get it when you make a comment on my posts. Dang, the photo is sharper than that taken by my DSLR which is probably on some wrong mode.

I have decided to wake up early to make my jellies in the morning so that I don't go into my frantic mood when the afternoon rain comes and takes away the light. The Internet was erratic last night and I had to go to Hub's office at 11 pm to upload my photos.

'Zebra' butter cake made the rounds of many food blogs last year and I just think it such a cool cake. Zebra butter cake (which is not the same as zebra cake, which is a cake decorated with, oddly enough, pink and black stripes) is a variation of the old fashioned marble butter cake where alternate horizontal dollops of cream-colored butter cake batter and dark choc butter cake batter are arranged in the cake pan and given a stir to give a marbled effect when cut. That was then. Now someone has come out of the box and came up with alternate vertical layers of butter cake batter and choc butter cake batter which results in a Zebra print when cut. I tried it once but it didn't come out looking anything like any animal print but here! 's the < a href="http://cherryonacake.blogspot.com/2009/02/zebra-cake.html">perfect zebra butter cake for you to drool over.

But this Jelliriffic! thing has made me think hard about what to make. Most of my ideas jellies for this Challenge so far are from things around me: the bunga telang for Jelly Kinabalu was grown by a neighbor, the green butter pesto was made from basil from my garden and so on. I need to thick out of the cone!

We've been informed that the moulds can be steamed but can't be baked but I loathe (did I just say that? Wey would say "So old-school mom" like he did recently when I said I've lost my "mojo") to do that because I don't want to risk damaging or tarnishing those beautiful shiny babies! So what can I do instead of a butter cake to get a zebra print? Gelling mediums such as agar or konyakku would not be suitable because they are runny. For the colors not to bled into surrounding layers, the batter or liquid must be viscous. What can I make that's viscous and doesn't need to be baked or steamed?

It struck me one day as I was sending Wey to tuition. Chilled cheesecake. Yes!And so that's how this jelly came about. I wrestled between a choc-orange cheesecake and a white choc-black choc cheesecake. In the end, I used the best of both flavors: white choc and Cointreau. Can you imagine the yum?

I put in too much of the first spoonful because I was afraid that the two batters will just run into each other if they were too thin. Although I didn't get the zebra stripes, I think you can because I didn't get it with the zebra butter cake either. I just can't do zebra prints I guess but I'm pretty happy that the two different colors didn't di! ssolve i nto each other. This.was.seriously.good. Especially when served very cold. Seriously good. You get the message. Now order a Nick Munro mould and make a zebra cone!

p.s. the answer is black with white stripes.

DSC_6958_1208x800

DSC_6989_1208x800
Thanks to N, who was visiting, I finally took the risk to line my moulds with greaseproof paper. It works! Just make sure the paper is lined smoothly and that the tip of the mould needs to be doused with warm water.

DSC_7016_1208x800


Zebra Cone (makes 2 cones)
The Basic Mousse:
125 gm Philly cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 to 2 tbsb caster sugar to taste)
1. Whisk the cheese and sugar together until fluffy.

The Choc:
2. Melt 50 gm white choc melts with 2 tbsp cream.Cool & add 1 tbsp Cointreau.Melt 60 gm dark choc with 3 tbsp cream. Cool.

The Custard:
1/2 egg yolk
1/3 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar

3. Whisk the egg in a bowl. Heat the milk and sugar, stirring until! sugar i s all dissolved. Remove from fire. Slowly drizzle the hot milk into the egg yolk, whisking the yolk with a small fork or whisk. Return the milk-egg mixture into the pot and heat under a gentle flame, stirring all the time, for 1 minute until the custard is steamy and hot but not boiling. Cool.

The gelatine:
3/4 tbsp gelatine
50 ml water
4. Stir the gelatine and water over a gentle flame until all the sugar is dissolved. Cool. Chill in fridge until just syrupy.

5. Mix the gelatine into the custard, stirring well to blend.
6. Divide into two equal portions. Mix one portion with the melted white choc and the other with the dark melted choc. If the batter is too runny, chill it a while but do not let it be too chilled or it'll be hard to run between the layers.
7. Prepare two Nick Munro moulds (line with grease proof paper) and scoop alternate layers of batter onto the center of each previous layer. Cover and chill for at least 3 to 4 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment