Real Life Dinner

IMG_2495

I have a real life.

I know epic. You have a real life too. Im not trying to pat myself on the back or anything.

I just wanted to remind you that I totally have a real life. Its imperfect and blurry. Its messy and florescent. Its crooked and underexposed.

Its quiet with the occasional solo dance party. Its awkward. Its sometimes frustrating. Its often times blessed. Theres a lot of food in this life of mine and its not always in focus. Its just not.

For some reason, I think its important that you know this.

Can I show you dinner? Real life I made this at 7pm in my poorly lit kitchen and ate it off the coffee table dinner.

IMG_2496

Before dinner can be made, dinner must be shopped for, dinner must be stood in line for.

Im the girl that answers emails in line at the grocery store. I just am.

I also wear sunglasses in the grocery store its LA, and thats totally allowed- if not encouraged.

IMG_2497

Groceries home. Im going to make salad-y things, and tomato-y things with mussels, herbs, and wine.

Real life: I found an easy recipe on the internet. I read it. I bought the stuff, and I just want dinner (and wine time) to happen quickly.

Spicy Steamed Mussels with Garlic and Herbs.

IMG_2499

Theres chopping to be done, so I chop. Leftover kielbasa, sliced garlic, and green onions.

IMG_2498

Directly behind me, my cat is rummaging around in the cabinet under the sink.

Hes learned how to open cabinet doors by himself. Hes like that velociraptor in Jurassic Park. Yes that terrifying. Dont believe me? Come live with me for a day. Its actually scary.

Anyhow this animal opens my cabinet, rummages around, spills stuff onto the kitchen floor stuff for me to trip over, then he saunters away.

IMG_2500

After chopping and slicing, these little bits get cooked in olive oil.

Heavy on the red pepper flakes. Spicy spicetown.

IMG_2501

Fresh basil and thyme for the chopping.

I love to finish dinner with fresh herbs. It makes me feel like Ive turned my house into a restaurant mostly because herbs make food taste better.

IMG_2502

Salad for dinner too!?

Im incredibly civilized. Dont be fooled I often have popcorn for dinner. I made a salad because I had company over. Casual company but still company.

When you have company over.. you have to make a salad, right?

IMG_2504

Real life:I was too lazy to dig for my spatula so the sides of my pan are coated in tomato sauce. Also I totally burnt my first round of toast. Like, hardcore. Like, I almost set the house of fire burnt. Black as the day is long. And the day is long. really long.

Joy the Baker burns toast. This is a true fact.

IMG_2505

Ive never made mussels before. They seem like the kind of food that you only eat in restaurants. Nope. These are so easy and delicious.

IMG_2507

I tend to eat dinner alone and standing. I hear its great for digestion. Gravity and such. No I totally dont hear that. Whatevs.

This time around, because I have company, Im classing it up were eating hunched over my tiny coffee table.

Not ideal, but I totally have linen napkins.

IMG_2508

Real life dinner d! one and delicious.

All thats left now are dishes, and leftovers and dessert to rummage through the freezer for.

Spicy Steamed Mussels with Garlic and Herbs. I love this recipe! It feels like Mario Batali cooked you dinner. And I made it in about 25 minutes. Major! Oh I added capers and kielbasa, and a bit of thyme instead of oregano.

ps. I wish I could make YOU dinner. pps. I love you. ppps. No biggie.


No comments:

Post a Comment