Simply Cooking: Sweet and Sour Chicken


I have spent the whole day reading about China and US, bickering at each other like husbands and wives from years 2001 to 2003. Reading about it is fascinating. At the same time, reading all of this stuff that had happened 10 years ago made me feel so insignificant. 10 years ago, I was a scrawny kid with this intention to do very well in high school and I felt that doing well is a significant thing. Little did I know, there are other people who are creating ripples across the world with their sentences and actions.

Foreign policy is a very interesting subject. More so than history. Both are related but I feel that foreign policy is more exciting because in a way, it is social psychology. If I were to imagine every single country as a person, I would be able to conduct a social network analysis and draw out a correlation map to understand how each country interact and to what extent their relationship are. It's all so human. I'm glad that I took this US and the World subject. I could not be any less happier.

Also, things are going well for my neuropsych subject. My lecturer makes the class interesting! I don't drift away when I'm listening to my lecture recordings because her voice indicates the spirit to teach. I wish I had more teachers like these! Plus, her notes have colours and well-written. There are cute Youtube videos about more complex stuff like G-protein and receptors too!

Don't I just sound happy? Actually, I'm plagued with lots of troubles at the moment but I would just like to push them aside for a while. I think talking to my mom about my problems help a lot. She's the best counselor ever although she's no psychology student. As they say love is the best medicine.

However, having a full tummy is a good cure to grumpiness too! I love sweet and sour items. So today, I shall share this sweet and sour chicken recipe. It's not like the sweet ! and sour pork dish. This has a Korean twist to it.





Recipe: Sweet and Sour Chicken (Serves 2)

Ingredients:

A:
-3 Chicken thighs, boiled in hot water for 2-3 minutes and then soak in icy cold water and diced. This I find is the best way to remove fats and it makes cutting easier.

B:
-1 teaspoon of olive oil + 2 drops of sesame oil
-2 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
-1/2 cup of frozen peas

C: (Mixed together and microwave on medium for 30 seconds)
-1 tablespoon of Chinese rice wine
-1 teaspoon of honey
-1 teaspoon of Citron (Yuja) sauce (available is most Korean marts)
-1 teaspoon of Cantonese styled red vinegar/ Korean lemon vinegar
-2 tablespoon of soy sauce

D:
-A pinch of pepper

Instructions:

1. Heat up a deep non-stick pan on medium heat. Add oil and garlic. Stir until fragrant.

2. Then add in chicken pieces. Stir until slightly brown. Add in sauce mixture from list C. Bring to boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes. If you want a thicker sauce, I suggest mixing 1 teaspoon of cornstarch powder with 2 tablespoons of hot water and add in to the sauce when it is boiling

3. After that, add in frozen peas. Bring to boil. When frozen peas are cooked, finish off with some pepper. For added flavor, add in a little fish sauce. :) Only necessary if you prefer a saltier kick to this dish. Otherwise, it is not recommended.





I ! hope you enjoy this recipe! Have a good weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment