Green Goddess Dressing

IMG_1815

I made you a bowl of greens.

Eat this while I eat some french fries and cake balls.

IMG_1813

A few weeks ago I made a SANDWICH inspired by Green Goddess Dressing.

What I didnt tell you about that sandwich was that it was just an excuse to buy soft, white, sandwich bread so I could make myself late night cinnamon-sugar toast.

Uh-huh.

IMG_1812

But! It turns out that the sandwich inspired me to make the real-deal dressing.

And the dressing inspired me to make this real-deal mess in my kitchen.

(This) Green Goddess Dressing is:

Creamy, tangy, thick, packed with spinach, fresh tarragon, fresh basil, scallions, parsley, mint and mustard. Lemon too. Its thick and delicious. Its good for you. Its a really great alternative to ranch dressing. Its lower in fat and has spinach in it. I dont feel nearly as bad about chugging this dressing.

Chugging.

IMG_1814

I tossed this gorgeous dressing on home grown lettuce. Fresh clipped lettuce. Lettuce that came from t! he dirt behind my house.

I, however, did not grow this lettuce. I have a black thumb. Not a green thumb. I have a thumb for making cookies, not for growing green things.

I exchange fresh lettuce for fresh biscuits and slices of cake.

David is a great neighbor and master gardener. He also talks to my cat through the screen. My cat talks back. I like this.

IMG_1385

If you dont like salad, maybe youre the kind of person that likes COOKIES. You probably are. You look like a cookie person.

IMG_1356

No? You want a FRUIT CRUMBLE!? Fine then. Geez. Chill out.

IMG_1248

No? You want a KITTEN? Come and take him. Well have to arm wrestle for him though and I totally cheat. So. Yea. Lets do it.

Green Goddess Dressing

makes: 1 1/2 cups dressing

inspired by Epicurious

Print this Recipe!

1 cup non-fat plain yogurt

1/2 cu p mayonnaise (I used low fat olive oil mayo)

1 cup loosely packed spinach leaves

small handful fresh tarragon leaves (about 3 tablespoons)

small handful fresh basil leaves

1/3 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley

1/4 cup diced scallions

2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves

1 small garlic clove

1 teaspoon red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon dijon mustard

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fit with a blade attachment. There is no need to chop the spinach or herbs. The food processor will do all the work for you. Do be sure to slice the scallions. Pulse all of the ingredients in the food processor until the begin to combine. Pulse for 5 seconds at a time until all of the greens are minced and well incorporated into the dressing. Taste. Add salt and pepper as necessary. Add a touch more olive oil or a bit of water to create a thinner consistency.

If you dont have a food processor, this recipe will also work in a blender. I chopped all of my herbs and greens before adding to the blender. This helps ensure that all of the greens break down evenly. Combine all ingredients and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add water and olive oil to thin the consistency, if desired.

If you dont have a food processor or a blender, this recipe can be made by hand with just a little elbow grease. Finely chop spinach, herbs, scallions and garlic. Really mince them fine. Whisk herbs together with the rest of the ingredients. Really give it a good stirring with the whisk. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve as a dip of as a salad dressing.

Dressing will last 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment