Review: Afternoon Tea @ Delicious Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur

If I had at least two weeks to spare after my study trip in the States, I WILL definitely make a stopover in KL. I miss my parents. I want to see how my mom is doing. And how good looking my dad has become (he had a makeover, by the way). I want to physically feel them in my arms, have my mom lie next to me and share the stuff I've been going through face to face, heart to heart.

It is not a lot to ask. Yet right now, this is an impossible task. Sigh.

This melancholy feeling takes over each time I blog about my memories when I was in KL. During my trip back, I managed to coerced my dad to bring to for tea at Delicious. It is NOT an easy task because he's the type of person who is cynical about Western oriented restaurants. He went like "So they serve pasta?"

T_T

Still, because my dad loves me like nobody's business (leading my mom to accuse me for being such a princess - If I am, I would be a princess who does her household chores diligently), he agreed. Inwardly, I screamed "YESSSSS...."

I'm no Delicious virgin, so I had an approximate knowledge of Delicious' food standards. In my first visit, I had the super huge duck confit. It was surprisingly decent, although not super delicious to the point that I would rate it 11 out of 10. So, I did not have sky high expectations in my next visit.



Three tier


This round, I had the Traditional English Afternoon tea for two. It costs RM 60 and by no means cheap when compared to the three tier sets one can get in hotels such as Shangri-La, Ritz Carlton and Hilton KL.

In this set, one gets two huge cups of tea of your choice, a choice of any cake on display - which is usually priced around RM 10 -, hot scones, assorted finger sandwiches, strawberry chocolate dip and handmade chocolate truffles, and rosemary and cheese cookies.



Huge mugs of tea
They use Twinings tea, the premium range ones. However, I feel that instead of serving them in a cup, they should serve them in pots. It was such a waste because one bag of Twinings can last for around 6 rounds of hot water in a pot.


Scones, rosemary and cheese cookiesThe scones were served piping hot. It was a good thing. Nevertheless, the texture of the scones were very inconsistent. Two of the scones were very fluffy and did not crumble upon cutting. They were perfect. The other one cracked into a million pieces upon cutting. Also, it tasted a little saltier than the rest.


Jam and scones
I felt a little cheated because it was said on the menu that fresh cream would be served. They did serve us with high quality preserves but cream in a plastic container? Well, that's fresh but it is not freshly prepared on the spot.


SandwichesThe finger sandwiches were quite creative. At least, they had the decency to serve wholemeal bread sandwiches. I prefer wholemeal over white bread anytime because first, there is this lovely aroma that wholemeal bread has that white bread does not. There were cucumber, egg and smoked salmon sandwiches. I liked all of them but would have loved them if they were to be a little stingy with the butter. Seriously, if there's one way to cut cost, don't let loose on the butter!

The duck confit in filo pastry was delicious. I loved them the most and when my dad refused to eat it, I helped him clear it up without hesitation! :D


Chocolate banana cake and strawberriesNow, onto the chocolate banana cake. It is a little on the sweet side but not to the point I would stop eating it after a single bite. It is in a way, a "safe" cake. Chocolate and banana will always work together no matter what. I don't see how it can go really wrong.

The strawberries were huge and fresh. According to my mom, they are American strawberries. Thank god they are not Victorian strawberries. Victorian strawberries taste like vegetables and are not fruits! Sometimes, one can find grass sprouting out from strawberries!

The chocolate dip was very decadent affair. It was nice how they used dark chocolate and not some sweet milk chocolate. The chocolate truffles had a generous dose of hazelnut and dark chocolate as well. The slight bitterness of the cocoa made it the perfect ending for the afternoon tea.



My dad di! d not ea t most of the items from the afternoon tea. Instead, he indulged himself in... PASTA! THE IRONY.




Spicy Seafood Spaghettini with Coriander (RM 24.90)
He enjoyed his seafood pasta immensely. The portion was a little too much for him, so my mom helped him out. According to her, the pasta was decent. I felt that they should include more mussels for the pasta though...

Yet another pleasant experience in Delicious. It's a foolproof place, with the exception of the scone glitch, to have an outing with your friends and family. The only complaint I had during that day was the poor air-conditioning. Apparently, the main air-conditioning was shut down by the mall! So, it was stuffy. Thankfully, the air-conditioning came back mid way or else, I do not think I would be able to enjoy my meal without feeling like Eyjafjallajkull.


Little things:

-Cuisine: Cafe, desserts, pasta, Fusion

-Ambiance: Blue and white decor dominate the place. Wood linings on the floor. If you go at a peak hour, it can be a little noisy

-Service: A bit slow during peak hours

-Portions: Reasonable. Some mains can be a little huge

-Budget: Quite pricey if you're a huge eater. Damage done was RM 80

-Information: Click herefor Delicious' website.


_____________

Anyway, if you guys are worried about how I'm doing, all I can say is, my skin has been rescued. I don't look domestically abused at the moment, thank god! However, my skin is literally peeling off in sheets. It feels slightly taut and I cannot eat properly because it's so hard to open my mouth. Fortunately, the skin underneath the peeling bits is not black in ! colour.< br>
My sister said that I'm a new hybrid of "Alien- Predator" and Domo is now my child because I'm a burnt alien. She even had the decency to call me a turtle with wrinkly skin! I know it sounds disgusting and that my sister may come across as nasty but her teasing is a nice way for me to break out a laugh amidst all this bitterness I've been undergoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment