Carrot Apple Ginger Soup

IMG_2892

Sometimes I just want to eat a color.

Does that make sense? Does that ever happen in your brain?

Usually I want to eat things that are green (kale), milky (coffee), made of booze, made of chocolate, or made of pie.

For some reason, yesterday I wanted something orange and spicy.

I made soup. Because all I ever make is soup then I put it in this wood bowl and take two pictures of it before I have to sit down on my couch and eat it.

Thats how it goes around here. It just does.

Desktop39

IMG_2859

Carrots with their hair are so much more romantic that the stripped version. Dont you think?

The cute bagger boy at Whole Foods asked me if I was going to juice the greens when I got home. I think he was trying to impress me. I looked at him like he was from Mars.

I was also wearing my super fitted workout pants. He tried to recover from the juicing comment by asking me how many miles I ran that morning. I answered zero, which was totally true. Awkward. Asking a girl how many miles she ran is basically announcing that youve checked out her rear end and find it interesting enough to ask about.

I wasnt doing anything to make him feel any better! about c hecking out my butt and trying to impress me with his carrot juicing knowledge. Poor thing he was trying.

Anyway.

IMG_2854

Onions and garlic go in soup, because onions and garlic always go in soup.

Duh.

IMG_2863

An apple and ginger can totally go in soup too. These two items can also go in spice cake but were not here for cake. Concentrate, will you!?

IMG_2870

Carrots, apple, and ginger cook down beautifully in this soup. The carrots are slightly sweet and full of good-for-you-things. The apple adds a necessary touch of sweetness (although it doesnt taste distinctly apple-y in this soup), and the ginger is perfectly spicy. Its good for you. Its orange. Its really delicious with buttered bread that goes for just about anything in life, though.

This whole mess is vegan too. Minus the delicious buttered bread. Silly.

Carrot Apple Ginger Soup

serves 4

guided by this recipe.

Print this Recipe!

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 small yellow onion, sliced

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated

1 small apple, peeled and sliced

4 to 5 cups sliced, peeled carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)

4 cups vegetable broth

pinch of nutmeg

salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for one minute, until fragrant. Add sliced apples and diced carrots and cook for 3 minutes more.

Turn flame to medium-high and add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce flame to low and simmer, uncovered, until carrots and apples are softened, about 30 minutes. Remove pan from the flame and let rest for 10 minutes.

Blend the soup in batches in a blender. Be sure not to fill the blender more than halfway full or hot soup will explode everywhere. Not cool. Also, when blending hot liquids in a blender, leave the blender lid slightly ajar to let some of the steam escape.

Once all of the soup is blended, return to the pot. You may decide that you want you soup a bit thinner in consistency. Add more vegetable broth if youd like. Taste, and add a dash of fresh ground nutmeg, as well as salt and pepper to taste. The soup wont need much pepper, as ginger is pretty spicy.

Serve with a drizzle of quality olive oil, a sprinkling of fresh cracked pepper, and a few carrot top sprigs cause youre fancy, and whatnot.

Soup will last, in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Soup also freezes well. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.


No comments:

Post a Comment