I baked: Raisin bread

Ah, how sweet it is to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread...


Whenever I have some extra time on my hands, I will try to make bread for my family. My hubby always pesters me to make it more often - but since I knead the dough by hand, it can be quite energy-consuming. I try to use different fillings in the bread everytime I make them.

Recently I made raisin bread for them and they liked it very much.... actually they liked it so much that when I wanted to enjoy a slice of bread with my cup of tea for breakfast, I found only 1/2 a slice of bread left for me! However, instead of feeling angry or disappointed, I was delighted that they loved it so much! Plus mummy can diet also lah! (thanks kids! ;P)



This time, I baked it the night before so that they can have it first thing in the morning. My kids are early risers, and baking it in the morning was slightly challenging and usually if I bake it in the morning, they have it as their second breakfast or snack in the morning.

The bread was pillowy soft with a crusty exterior at the same time. I really liked the orange rind cos it makes the bread smell so good! I tried a little when it was fresh out of the oven... slathered lots of butter on it and oh my, it was yums! It was still soft in the morning too.



Now you see it..


Now you don't (well, almost)...


Raisin bread
Cooking time: 45- 50 minutes
Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients
1/2 tbsp dried yeast
225ml lukewarm milk
100g raisins
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or if you prefer, you can use sherry or brandy)
1/4 tsp grated or ground nutmeg
Grated rind of 1 orange
30g caster sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
60g butter, melted
350g bread flour, sifted
1/2 egg beaten with 1/2 tbsp cream, for glazing


1. Stir the yeast and 60ml of milk together and let stand for 15 minutes to dissolve.

2. Mix the raisins, vanilla extract, nutmeg and orange rind together and set aside.

3. In another bowl, mix the remaining milk, sugar, salt and half the butter. Add the yeast mixture. Then add half the flour and stir into the mixture with a wooden spoon until blended. Gradually add the rest of the flour until you get a stiff dough.

4. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 1/2 hours.

5. Punch down the dough, then return to the bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.

6. Grease a 450-g loaf tin. Roll the dough into a 20 x 7 inch rectangle.

7. Brush the rectangles with the remaining butter. Sprinkle the raisin mixture, then roll up tightly, tucking in the ends ! slightly as you roll. Place in the prepared tins, cover and leave to rise until almost doubled in volume (another 1 1/2 hours).




8. Preheat the oven to 200C. Brush the loaves with the glaze and bake for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 180C and bake until golden, for about 25-30 minutes. Cool on racks. Serve with butter.

Healthy breakfast ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment