Whoopie pies & macarons @ Pique Nique, Singapore

So, back to our Singapore trip in May... Before we went to Singapore, I looked up places for breakfast and macarons, and came across Pique Nique. Pique Nique is actually part of the Sugar Daddy Group that also own Antoinette.


Nice things come in threes..


We had Antoinette's macarons during our last Singapore trip, and liked it hence we had faith in Pique Nique. Pique Nique is located in Takashimaya Tower A Level B1, directly opposite KFC. After our Japanese breakfast here and here, we headed straight to Pique Nique for some desserts!



Relaxed ambiance


Milk cans on the wall as part of the decor

I was certainly mesmerised by the beautiful cakes and rows of colorful macarons in the display counter at the front of the shop. After much deliberation, I settled for 2 macarons and a whoopie pie on top of my french toast order.

So what's a whoopie pie? It's an American creation, of two round mound-shaped chocolate cake with a sweet, creamy filling. At a glance, it looks a little bit like a macaron, but if you look closely you will notice it does not have feet. The whoopie pies at Pique Nique had a cute sign saying "I am not a macaron" and another saying "I am really not a macaron". LOL.



How cute is that?


I picked the red velvet and cookies & cream mint macaron (SGD2.00 each) as the flavours sounded quite unique and ones which I've not tried before in a macaron. I enjoyed both flavours - the mint flavour was refreshing and left a cooling sensation on the tongue (a bit like toothpaste but in a nice way hehe). I felt the red velvet one was very cute with the star toppings and all, and still tasted like a proper macaron despite its cuteness - nice texture and thick, creamy filling.



Nice macarons here


Slightly chewy texture - good!


Nice feet


It's my first time tasting a whoopie pie (SGD2.00). If I was asked to describe it in my own words, I would say it's like a mini chocolate cake with cream filling. It was alright, but personally I prefer the macaron to a whoopie pie. Well, at least I've tried it.


English Breakfast Tea (SGD4.50)

Since I was feeling greedy, I also ordered a French Toast with salted caramel and creme Chantilly (aka whipped cream) (SGD7.50) to share with Hubby. The French toast is decent, but I found the salted caramel too sweet (and couldnt really taste the salt). You could also opt to have the French toast with maple syrup instead of! salted caramel. The portion is quite generous for the price.



They also have many other breakfast items around the range of $12-15, which is quite reasonably priced for Singapore standards.


Verdict: Nice place for sweets and treats, wouldn't mind coming back for more of their macarons! ;)

Opening times: 10am to 9.30pm daily.

Service: Good.

Price: Total bill SGD21.20.

Location: Pique Nique, Level B1, #B1-01-1-2, Tower A, Ngee Ann City, Takashimaya Departmental Store, 391A Orchard Road, Singapore, 238873.

Tel: +65 6238 6705

Website: http://www.piquenique.com.sg or Facebook page here.

Nearest MRT: Orchard

No comments:

Post a Comment