Mushroom and Bacon Breakfast Skillet

IMG_6715

What would you do if I told you that Im in just a teeny-tiny-weeee bit of a rut?

Ive got some nerve, right? Soooome nerve.

Lately, Ive been lucky enough to travel the country on book tour meeting so many of your smiling faces! You people have been amazing! Youve helped me set my shyness aside, and jump out into the world with you. Youve welcomed me, and my book with such sunshine and enthusiasm, and Im so so grateful for you!

Ive also had adventures in London and I cant wait to show you the images. I have a couch to sit on. I have a kitten to cuddle with (when hes not feeling claw-y). I have Tracy and Michael. I even have a man that brings flowers and hot coffee. I mean come on!

What the heck do I have to be in a rut about?

photo

I suppose ruts (I totally just typed nuts) have no rhyme or reason.

Im coaxing myself out of this rut with a simple skillet. Im eating myself out of this rut with easy eggs, and well cooked mushrooms. Bacon clearly doesnt hurt either. Oh, and Im about to start reading myself out of my rut with The Happiness Pro! ject .

Note. Very important note. Its not wise to go shopping for jean shorts while in a rut with very pale legs. Thats solid advice I wish someone would have told me. Shopping for jean shorts is much like shopping for a bathing suit. Not to be taken lightly.

K. I love you! Byeeee!

IMG_6676

I dont know what it is about mushrooms. Every time I buy mushrooms, I feel like Im treating myself.

These are cremini buttons and beautiful oyster mushrooms. With spicy arugula this feels fancy.

IMG_6687

Two slices of bacon. Just two. Well make them go a long way.

Im super smitten with this Black Forest Bacon. Fancpants (new word alert).

IMG_6696

Mushroom rough chop.

Im starting to come out of my rut already! Its probably the smell of cooking bacon

IMG_6703

I use every meal as an excuse to bust out a crusty loaf of bread.

This is a mini olive loaf. Slice. Dredge in olive oil. Toast. Snack. And serve.

photo1

This breakfast, and this rut getter-outter is inspired by Tyler Florence Family Meal.

This book is earnest and meaty. Seriously theres a lot of meat in this book. It feels like a good cooking-for-a-dude book. Also T-Flos family looks just beautiful. I like when people put big pieces of themselves in their books.

IMG_6717

Deeeep breath just look at the comfort weve created! Runny yolks, salty and crisp bacon, golden brown mushrooms, and fresh arugula. I go heavy on the fresh cracked pepper and I also totally doused the finished dish in hot sauce, like bonkers.

Mushroom and Bacon Breakfast Skillet

Serves 3 or 4, depending on how many eggs you fry

adapted fromTyler Florence Family Meal

Print this Recipe!

2 slices bacon

1 cup cremini mushrooms (a large handful will do), cleaned and sliced in half

small handful cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped

small handful of arugula

salt and pepper to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 or 4 large eggs

In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until cooked through and crisp. I like to cook bacon over medium or medium-low heat so it doesnt burn to quickly. When bacon is cooked through, remove from pan and place on a paper towel t! o drain.

Drain some of the bacon grease, leaving about 1 1/2 tablespoons in the pan. Add mushrooms to the pan and let brown, untouched, for about 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown. Remove from pan.

Reduce heat to low or medium-low. Add olive oil to the pan. Crack three eggs into the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover pan with a lid. After about 3 minutes, check eggs. Cook until theyre reached your desired doneness. I usually cook eggs for about 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle the eggs with bacon, mushrooms, and arugula. Add more salt and pepper as necessary and serve immediately. Serve with crusty bread and hot sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment