Middle Fish @ North Melbourne

I must have heard about Middle Fish ever since it was open for business and never really got a chance to pop over. Staying on the south side of town doesn't really help too. However with all things in life, if you set your mind to it, you will achieve it. I wouldn't say popping into Middle Fish is quite an achievement to boast about but at least we finally got to see what it was all about.


The Middle Fish is not your average small and cozy Thai restaurant, on the contrary quite the opposite. On the same row as Seven Seeds means what you are entering into is essentially an ex-warehouse unit; its spacious. Tables were nicely spread out and you even had a lounge like section.


Unlike most brunch places on the weekends, we were quite happy to see that the place was not packed like sardines in a can; meaning no queuing involved or being stuffed into a corner behind the toilet. We picked an empty table big enough for four which meant plenty of space to read the newspapers.


To the food and drinks.


IMG_2281

There's nothing like a thai milk tea. Its strong and certainly as potent as a coffee. I would love to come back for one even though it's been freezing the last couple of days to even think of an iced drink.


IMG_2275

With Seven Seeds next door, its all too easy to have y! our meal and walk over for a coffee. However, I don't see the necessity as their latte was as good as any.

Time to judge the food.

IMG_2286

Crispy Fried Egg and Sticky Roast Pork Belly for breakfast? You bet. I will be bias and say this was the bomb of a breakfast to have. To be honest, I think I am getting sick of all the brunches we been having, you know the different variations of eggs, avocado, bacon, potato and sausages on a plate. This was a pleasant surprise for me. I would have liked a stronger basil flavour coming through the sauce but all in all, I can't fault this.

IMG_2279

The Brown Rice Soup with chicken meatballs was another hit. After taking two sips, the Wife commented that it reminded her of the food she had in a Bangkok home stay. Comfort food that is cooked from the heart. I had a couple of spoonfuls and I agreed. This is worth coming back for in winter, despite as the name suggests is nothing more than broth with rice with a few condiments.


What can I say, we loved our experience and we look forward to coming back again and this time maybe try a few more dishes.


Address and contact details:


Verdict: 4 stars out of 5 stars. A refreshing change to our usual poached eggs and toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment