Oregano Brussels Sprouts

2011 was the best kind of chaotic year. There's no other way to say it. I flew to London, Portland, Palm Springs, and West Virginia. I rode rails to Paris, drove to Marfa, and walked my way through the soles of three pairs of shoes. I moved. Not far, it took the moving truck just under four minutes to drive from house A to house B. But how we filled that beast of a truck with our stuff, I'll never understand. What else? I took a lot of photos. There was a five-alarm fire scary close. I turned my kitchen / basement into a brewery. I spent time, in person, with people I'd previously admired from afar. And I spent a good number of quiet hours on Saturday mornings trimming flowers. A hobby that helped, because at exactly this time last year I was quite nervous/excited/apprehensive about sharing this with you.

Brussels Sprouts

Now that we've crossed into 2012, I feel like there is a clean stretch of road in front of me. I have projects I'm excited to spend more time thinking about, places I can barely wait to visit, friends I hope to cross paths with again. And, of course, plenty of cooking to do. I threw these brussels sprouts together as part of my lunch on New Years Day. Honestly, the brussels sprouts I had on hand we're a bit brutish - larger than I like, cosmetically rough, and past their prime. But after ! giving t hem a good scrub, and preening all the raggy outer leaves, they came around quite nicely. I browned them in a pan, the oregano "pesto" I seem to always have around these days made for a nice drizzle, and a handful of toasted almond slices was just the right nutty, crunchy finishing touch.

Happy new year all. If nothing else, let's make 2012 interesting. -h

Continue reading Oregano Brussels Sprouts...


No comments:

Post a Comment