FOOD: The Soup Restaurant 1 Utama, the NEW Old Wing

Heres another of my Food at the NEW Old Wing, 1 Utamaseries of posts. This restaurant is located on the same floor asPutien Malaysiaand enjoyed the same long queue as Putien did when it first opened.

I was there during its opening week (yes, this post is a bit late.. ahem..) and it was another night where we craved something tummy-warming sans post- gym session.

The name pretty much explained its menu and just like Putien Malaysia, The Soup Restaurant is a Singaporean enterprise that has recently ventured onto our shores.

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-4

Im all for new F & B outlets, as that gave us foodies more choices and a better variety of cuisine to sample. I am however, a bit bothered that there are a proliferation ofSingaporean F & B franchises in KL lately; of which most serves simple Chinese cuisine, something that I think we Malaysians can do as well.
The sad thing is, Malaysians food entrepreneursseems to prefer fusion, Italian and what-nots; and other than Ben Yong of the Bens/Plan B empire; are there any other foodentrepreneurs worth mentioning?
But I digress.

The Soup Restaurant promises dishes fromfamily recipes that are distinctive and traditional. All dishes are home-cooked style and assiduouslyprepared, and some dishes even have numbered daily servings, such as their signatureSamsui Ginger Chicken.

Since there were only 3 of us, we made do with 2 soups, a rice dish and a fibre dish in the form of my favourite Spinach with 3 types of eggs.

!

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-1

Though I find the chicken a tad salty, it was nevertheless flavourful and tender. I actually preferred the rice which was wonderfully aromatic from the chicken stock. A few stalks of kailan at the side provided the fibres necessary to complete a meal. The portion is good for one, and ideal for lone diners.

This spinach dish was more of a portion for 3. Priced roughly around RM16 (I remembered cos I was grumbling about how much it cost), it was again a tad salty.

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-2

Both our double-boiled soups was alright; richly flavoured with herbs and seemed reasonable enough at about RM18+- each.

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-3

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-5

Its hard to get good soups, something that I only realized lately as I have been seeking Chinese nourishment as advised by a friend. My health has not been too good and I have been falling sick consistently. Besides, both my Chinese physician and western doctor are in high favour of hot soups as part of my diet.

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-6

The Soup Restaurant is certainly convenient for my soup-diet, and the other is Tang Shifu, which I personally think offers better soups in comparison to The Soup Restaurant. Anyone here has tried both and if yes, which would be your preference?

the soup restaurant, 1 utama-7

the soup restaurant, 1 utama

For more reads on my series of Food at the NEW Old Wing, 1 UtamaCLICK:

Putien opens in Malaysia- serving authenticHeng Hwa (or Xing Hua) cuisine from China
Moo Cow, my favourite froyo is in 1 Utama! Current new flavours for CNY is Mandarin Orange & Dragonfruit!
AK Noodles Housefor a economical meal

Soup Restaurant @ 1 Utama, (same row as Pappa Rich)
G210A, Ground Floor,
One Utama (old wing), Bandar Utama, Petaling Jaya.
Tel: 03-7727-2788

No comments:

Post a Comment