cinnamon brown butter breakfast puffs

left to cool and set

I took a Home Economics class in the 7th grade. I probably dont need to tell you how stoked I was about this (especially after nearly flunking Wood Shop the semester before with the saddest toolbox ever) although I am fairly certain they failed at whatever household management skills theyd hoped to impress on my 12-year-old self. Im currently staring down a particularly fetid sinkful of dishes, willing them to wash themselves, while deep creases form in a towering basket of clean laundry that has yet to be folded, though perhaps theres a glimmer of hope for the next generation. Nevertheless, the one class I remember perfectly was the one in which we made a puffy muffin embodiment of butter-slathered, cinnamon-sugar broiled cinnamon toast. It could be whipped up in no time, presumably along with a stack of bacon while wearing a gown-like robe and fuzzy slippers to the delight of sleepy-eyed children tumbling down the stairs. (Sorry, my housewife archetype is firmly etched in the Brady Bunch era.)

freshly grated nutmeg
batter

These pastries are, amusingly, called French Breakfast Puffs, I presume they are French in the way that French Toast and French Fries are, or! that I convince myself I am every time I order Lillet, which is to say, dubiously. Their origin, however the Betty Crocker Test Kitchens isnt half as interesting as their flavor, which is a little bit snickerdoodle, a little bit butter cake and a lot of addictiveness. My first thought upon eating one in class that day was Its like a doughnut hole! and my second was Why hasnt my mother ever made these for me? I thought she said she loved us! and then I pouted for the remainder of the hour. What? I said I was 12.

filling the tins -- you fill it less, okay?

... Read the rest of cinnamon brown butter breakfast puffs on smittenkitchen.com

smitten kitchen 2006-2011. |permalink to cinnamon brown butter breakfast puffs | no comment to date | see more: Breakfast, Muffin/Quick Bread, Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment