Ponycat @ New Farm, Brisbane

I might as well make it official.


Yes, I am moving to Melbourne beginning 2012.


I thought I would be much more happy than I should be but it feels more like an unwanted son going back to a mother that didn't want him to begin with, compound by the fact that the unwanted son is casting away his foster mother who's been treating him well.


It was probably not a move I had anticipated but you could say one thing lead to another and the opportunity to live life in Melbourne became a reality, a chance I couldn't say no to.


There are still mixed feelings about leaving the place we called home in the last 14 months or so and we will be making the best out of it till we fly back home in mid December.


Meanwhile, I need to dig deep into the archives of photo and finish up this foodie adventure of mine.


---


Reading Urbanspoon and some of the local blogs, Ponycat seems to pop up once in a while for a good breakfast. However the thought of going there never crossed our minds and it wasn't until one day we decided, ok lets go.


Looking at the address, I had no idea it was a trot away from Choquette, my weekly source of bread and at one time, pastries.


Back to Ponycat. The place is rather small with an open kitchen so I reckon it was fortunate we got a place outside. The only troublesome thing was the menu is written on a board inside the restaurant and I found myself standing awkwardly in the middle of the restaurant reading the menu, pressured to find something I like.


The menu is a mix of classic dishes with one or two highlights.

IMG_1680

Corn pancakes with eggplant relish and bacon was something that caught my eye. However the Wife was too tempted to just walk across to Choquette for that to die for Almond Croissant. Foodwise, the combination of ingredients and flavours worked and strayed away from the good old poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.


IMG_1677


The Coffees were a mixed bag. I had a latte that was well made but the Cappuccino came out rather bitter, maybe an over extraction of the espresso shot.

Overall to us, it was another one of those breakfast spots that we would consider over the weekend but not dream about in our sleep.

Address and contact details:

Ponycat on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. A decent breakfast spot in this part of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment