Joe can cook! Season 2 Episode 3: Salmon Don with Skin

This is technically not the hardest of recipes, matter of fact, the only cooking required is putting the salmon skin in the oven. However, having not used the DSLR for months and letting it rot in a black box in a corner of the unit, I couldn't resist taking it out for a few snaps.


It looks like the camera is still serving me well and looking at my own pictures, I would love to dig into a bowl of this for lunch.

IMG_4372

Once too often, we find ourselves paying AUD 15-20 for a bowl of rice topped with some salmon sashimi but can we not make it ourselves for a much cheaper price?

IMG_4368

It looks like we can! Excuse my ignorance but for the longest times I have been going to fishmongers looking out for sashimi quality salmon. Until one day, I couldn't take it anymore and asked, where can I get some. Guess what? The whole salmon that I was buying is sashimi grade to begin with! For AUD 25 per kg, the 3 kg salmon can yield a lot of sashimi I tell you!

Best discovery is finding whole salmon for AUD 15 per kg at Yuen's market in the Valley that is according to them is also sashimi grade!

How to assemble:

1. What we do is usually cut the belly section out for eating sashimi and it actually makes it easier to portion the rest out evenly.

2. Cut the skin out, seasoned with salt and pepper and pop it in the oven on grill mode till it crisps up like a cracker.

3. Cook some Japanese / Korean short grain rice, cool down and mix with some rice vinegar (the one meant for sushi).

4. Assemble everything together like the picture.

Voila! You have got a pretty good healthy meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment