Ipoh Laksa @ Kangaroo Point, Brisbane

I should start blogging according to date of consumption instead of adopting the Last In First Out method. With so many 'older' pictures stuck in the later pages of my Flickr account untouched, it makes it that much harder to even remember where the place was, not to mention talking about flavours.


Rewind back to Malaysia's National Day on August 31, the patriotism in me sounded out to my stomach and consequently my head for some local Malaysian food to celebrate the day Malaysia became an independent country. Whether there was a noble cause for us to drive out that night for dinner or just any reason we could think of, I leave it up to you to decide.


With a name like Ipoh Laksa, Ipoh being a town where Mom was born and raised which a 2 hour drive away from Kuala Lumpur, we went in, fingers crossed that the food would be good. A quick browse at the menu shows a range of familiar sounding dishes; the roti canai, the rendangs, curries, noodles and rice. Not overly "Ipoh" in my books which to me is all about smooth hor fun soup served alongside poached chicken and beansprouts or salt baked chicken (about the only items I must have when I visit Ipoh).

IMG_1484

We decided to give Hokkien Mee a try, a dish that this place in Melbourne has replicated almost to the dot. Lookwise, the noodles used were too thin, apparently a problem that my friend in the business is facing. The only alternative to thick huge yellow noodles you get in this dish is udon noodles but the price of a packet is probably two-three times the price of yellow noodles. However tastewise, it scored pretty big po! ints wit h the use of pork lard pieces. A bit more dark soya sauce in the dish would like cherry on top of an icing cake.

IMG_1486

Ipoh Hor Fun to me, is a hor fun in broth that is made from chicken and prawn heads served with some poached chicken breast and prawns. However, this version is more akin to a Wat Dan Hor. The flavours were pretty good but slightly more of that eggy sauce would be nice.

Address and contact details:

Ipoh Laksa on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. Near enough for me with average prices and familiar flavours ticks all the right boxes for me. Won't mind sampling a few more dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment