Cosmopolitan Pink Lady

"Two Times A Lady"

DSC_7539_636x960

Seriously pink cocktails:Pink lady meets Cosmopolitan.

My first cocktail, at 17, was a screwdriver. It was cool to order a screwdriver at 17. You had to look like you drink it all the time. "Yes, I'll have a screwdriver please thank you." And then we found out why the boys were snickering.

In my twenties, the only cocktail I drank was the margarita. I still drink margaritas if I'm at a hotel lounge although it kind of shows my age. I stopped drinking this elegant drink for many years after reading about the mandatory agave worm in a good bottle of tequila but now I've gone past the worm and still loving this salty, bitter, sour kick ass drink.

The cosmopolitan and pink lady are pretty in pink,ladies' cocktails. However, just by their looks you can tell that one is more Miley Cyrus and the other Megan Fox. Although Dita Con Teese sizzles the screen with the Cosmopolitan ad, I think she's too hot for the Cosmopolitan.

DSC_7498_636x960


DSC_7495_636x960



I tested the drinks on my nieces tonight as we gather to celebrate my mom's birthday for the second time this year. Any excuse to get t! ogether and eat and talk. We had a great time talking about the fights we had. My younger bro, my older bro and I boxed our way through the house. My sister and the youngest bro were gentle people who never fought. When my sister fought, it was with her talons. I hate long nails because of her. Anyway, these are stories for another time.

Joe, my younger Joe, made a disgusted face when he drank the Pink Lady. "It's de-worming med!" "It's kiddies paracetamol!" said my nieces. The Cosmopolitan however was well-received. "It'sching(clean, light)" said Joe. It's "Not bad" said my nieces. I tried both and I have to agree. The Cosmopolitan actually reminds me of the margarita because of the lime.

Then I brought out my Cosmopolitan Pink Lady. Somehow, in the form of jellies, the Pink Lady tasted fine and they liked it. I think even Mikey will like.

DSC_7523_636x960


Cosmopolitan Pink Lady
Pink Lady:
1/2 tsp gelatine powder
50 ml water
1 1/2 tbsp gin
2 tsp grenadine
1 tsp cream
1/2 egg white
a maraschino cherry
1. Melt the gelatine powder in the water over a gentle flame until gelatine is totally dissolved.
2. Rinse a Nick Munro mould, put in 1/2 tsp of the gelatine liquid and drop in the cherry. Chill.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in a shaker (if you don't have a cocktail shaker, use a salad dressing bottle or any glass bottle) and shake well. Pour into the mould and chill.

When Pink Lady is nearly set, work on the Cosmopolitan.

Cosmopolitan:
3/4 tsp gelatine powder
1 tbsp vodka
1/2 tbsp Cointreau
1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup cranberry juice
1 tsp caster sugar
a twist of lime
1. Put the cranberry juice, sugar and ge! latine p owder to boil, stirring well until gelatine is totally dissolved. Cool.
2. Mix everything (except the twist of lime) together and pour onto the Pink Lady. Drop in the twist of lime and chill until well set.

No comments:

Post a Comment