Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos

IMG_8093

I can and I will.

I can and I will.

Thats what Ive been telling myself lately. I can and I will about everything. Ive also been saying YES to just about everything. Do you know what can open up when you say Yes.. I can and I will? Whoa. Major. Going to the gym? Done. Having an uncomfortable conversation you dont want to have? Done. Offering a lady at the laundromat my laundry soap? Done. Paying that dang parking ticket. Fine, done. Helping a friend with a photo project. Donedone.

Im not looking for any sort of award. I realize that this is all just everyday living but it really is a lovely brainchange to think YES first and I CAN second. Really cool things can happen. Like tacos tacos can happen.

IMG_7980

Amendment: I think the only thing Ill say no to right now is seeing that 3D dolphin-without-a-tail movie. I cant handle it mostly because it would probably make me cry. Ugh.

IMG_7992

Im in love with these tacos. Ill eat them for days. I made a lot.

I dont want to share. I really have to involk that YES mantra.

IMG_8002

These tacos have three essential elements.

This slaw is a simple mix of cabbage, onion, cilantro, and lime. I secretly love that the purple cabbage bleeds.

IMG_8008

These are the things that go into the black beans. Lime, cumin, and onion.

I put them on a cutting board for you to see.

IMG_8035

Roasted sweet potatoes round our this taco situation. Sweet potatoes are roasted with olive oil, lime, and chili flakes. Simple, bright, and spicy.

Ps. Apparently Im really into limes right now. Theyre everywhere!

IMG_8060

Look at this! I love when food is pretty!

These tacos are totally Autumn-y. Orange, black and purple. Theyre full of flavor. Theyre earthy and bright. Im pretty sure I found my new favorite thing.

Oh! Ps. Theyre totally cheap to make too. Meat is expensive. Potatoes and beans are totally cheap.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos

serves 4

inspired by WindAttack

Print this Recipe!

For the Potatoes:

2 sweet potatoes (really orange-fleshed yams), peeled and cut into small cubes

1 tablespoon olive oil

salt and red chili flakes to taste

juice of 1 lime

Fo! r the Ca bbage Slaw:

2 heaping cups shredded cabbage (I used a combination of purple and green cabbage)

1/4 cup finely diced yellow onions

2 heaping tablespoons chopped cilantro

juice of 2 limes

salt and red chili flakes to taste

For the Beans:

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed

juice of 1 lime

small corn tortillas

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place peeled and diced sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet. Top with olive oil, salt and chili flakes, and lime juice. Toss together until all of the potato chunks are coated. Place in the oven to bake until softened through and toasted brown. This usually takes about 40 minutes. Remove the cookie sheet once or twice during baking to toss the potato chunks around. This will ensure that the cubes cook evenly. Remove from the oven and let stand when cooked through.

While the potatoes cook, assemble the Cabbage Slaw. In a medium bowl, place cabbage, yellow, and chopped cilantro. Add lime juice, salt and chili flakes. Toss to coat and set aside while the potatoes cook and beans heat. Letting the cabbage slaw sit will help soften the cabbage.

To cook the beans, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onions and cook until transluscent, about 3 minutes. Add ground cumin and stir until fragrant. Add beans and lime juice. Cook until heated through.

Heat corn tortillas in a hot saucepan with just a touch of oil. Heat through and serve with potatoes, beans, and slaw.


No comments:

Post a Comment