Angke (Chinese Jakarta Resto)

Angke is a very famous Chinese "Hakka" restaurant with two locations in Jakarta, in Ketapang and Kelapa Gading. I only tried the latter, which is made of one huge dining room half the size of a football field. I guess it is adequate for weddings and receptions, but I don't recommend it if you want to have an intimate dinner.

I sat on my table, surrounded by children playing and screaming, and ordered 1/2 Grilled Duck (Rp95,000) and Kailan Cah (Rp30,000). I had read many excellent reviews about this place, but when comparing with Liyen, my favourite Chinese restaurant in Jakarta, the taste of my food in Angke was much less flavorful, while costing the same. It was decent, but certainly not worth all the buzz.
Kailan Cah (Rp30,000++)Grilled Duck (Bebek Panggang, Rp95,000++)
Overall: From my small experience, I would not recommend Angke because I didn't enjoy its ceremonious atmosphere and I didn't think their food was special enough to justify a long trip to this part of Jakarta.

For Chinese food lovers though, and if you live near Kelapa Gading, I'm sure there are some great dishes on their long, extensive menu. You could try the following, praised on other Jakarta food blogs: Ayam Garam, Hai Som, Lindung Ca Fumak, Sapi Cah Kail Lan, Fuyunghai Babi. The cost for 1 person for a 2-course meal with soft drinks should be around Rp120,000.
Opening hours:
Everyday, from 11am to 3pm and from 5pm to 10pm
Angke Restaurant Ketapang
Jl. Zaenal Arifin (d/h. Ketapang Raya)
Komplek Ketapang Indah, Jakarta Barat, 14440
Phone number: +62-21 634-3030
Fax: +62-21 634-6633

Angke Restaurant Kelapa Gading
Jl. Raya Boulevard Barat, Kelapa Gading Square, Jakarta Utara, 14240
Phone number: +62-21 458-66333
Fax: +62-21 458-66200

Website: http://www.angke.com

No comments:

Post a Comment