Taj Mahal (Indian Restaurant Jakarta)

Taj Mahal is the most authentic Indian restaurant I've been to in Jakarta so far. I found it while I was walking around in Pasar Baru, one of the two areas in Jakarta with strong Indian communities (the second one is Sunter). After visiting a Sikh temple, I asked the guards what was the best Indian restaurant around, and they drove me straight to Taj Mahal.

From outside, it is very easy to miss because it is not bigger than a warung. The inside looks old, with some Indian decoration, but nothing fancy. It was 3 in the afternoon when I entered, and apart from me, there was a Pakistani and an Indian. They were quite surprised to see a westerner so it was not long before we started to chat.

The menu is not so big, but you have all the most famous Indian dishes. The prices are very cheap, and you can probably eat well for less than Rp60k. I ordered a small Thali for Rp35k, and even though I had eaten just 2 hours before, I finished it instantly. Everything was perfect with this meal: The location, the service, the authenticity of the place, and of course the food.
Overall: Very recommended if you like cheap, authentic Indian food. If all you ! can abou t is the cleanliness and modernness of a venue, it is not for you though.
Taj Mahal
Jl. K.H. Samanhudi No. 10A, near the Metro in Pasar Baru)
Phone number: +62-21 9840 4085 or 381 3754
Mobile: +62 (0) 818 148 498

No comments:

Post a Comment