Victorian Cosmetic Institute: 12 percent salicylic (BHA) peel and extractions

Today will be a non-food post again. Instead, I will be ranting about my acne. No, not really, I will talk about something drastic that will send most people cringing in fear and screaming out of sheer horror: Chemical peels.

The word "Chemical" is good enough to make people wonder, "Does it hurt?", "Will it thin my skin out?" or "Will it disfigure me?"

I've been doing chemical peels since I was 15. I've probably done it more than any teenager of my age back in Malaysia would. I would say, chemical peels are the SHIZNIT. And oh, to make things clear, I'm talking about superficial chemical peels such as BHA and AHA peels. Anything beyond that is not covered in this post.

Based on my experience, chemical peels can give your face a plumped up look, make you look so fair that Snow White will die in shame, and give you this nice looking glow. For those with acne, it will reduce the amount of breakouts and even stop them. However, this can only be achieved provided that:

1. The person who is doing a peel for you is very experienced in doing them
2. Your skin is well prepped for a peel - the use of AHA and BHAs or a Vitamin A derivative is necessary to prep the skin for a peel
3. You are mentally prepared.

The first two, I need not explain much. Now, the purpose of this post is to explain the third part. In this context, "mentally prepared" means, you have to:

1. Not assume that after one peel, you will get porcelain skin. A chemical peel is a long run thing. You do it once per month, over the course of time, maintain it with products catered to your skin's needs, and then you can obtain the results that you want. There is no quick fix.

2. After the peel, you will either: a) experience nearly nothing except a little redness OR b), your skin will have this sunburnt look and it will start to peel like nobody's business. If the person who is doing it is unprofessional, you might experience bruising even.

3. You have to take time off ! and refr ain from going out. I really mean it. Exposure to sun after a peel is going to waste your effort of enduring the 30 second sting from your peel and the money you've paid!

4. It will sting for a good one minute when the peel is administered. You will feel that your face is on fire. Now, it sounds scary. But would you rather have spotty face or fire-y face for 1 minute? I'd go for the latter ANYTIME. Plus, the pain is nothing compared to having my eyebrows done, which was, scratched into shape by a razor dipped in colouring, line by line. Imagine that. WHAT IS A PEEL TO THAT? NOTHING.

So, you get the idea. :)


Well, my peel went well. I got the best peel job ever. My nurse was very gentle with the peel and the extractions were done in an appropriate manner. I asked my sister if she could tell if I had done any extractions, she said that she couldn't. Part of the reason why the extractions was done in a breeze was my new regimen. I returned a product that I've bought previously in exchange for a cheaper kit. :) I did not return the Prep Cleanser and Retinaldehyde though because they are still useful.

Anyway, my regimen:

AM:
-Rationale's Three fix kit :Antibacterial gentle cleanser, Unclog (18 percent AHA + 5 percent BHA + Niacinamide), Clear (4 percent Benzoyl Peroxide + 2 percent Niacinamide)
-Sunscreen with 20 percent Zinc Oxide when acne is inflamed from the breakouts/ Sunscreen with antioxidants when the weather feels a little dryer than usual

PM:
-Cleanser OR Prep cleanser (when I'm turning on the heater) and Unclog from Threefix kit.
-Retinaldehyde
-A little moisturizer if I'm turning on the heater or when I feel that my skin needs it.

I plan to incorporate Niacinamde and Vitamin C serum for daily use but I will wait till my acne subside a little. Most of the whiteheads have fell off themselves in the past 7 days, thanks to Threefix. ! :) Best of all, the threefix kit costs only 99 AUD.


Pictures to feed your curiosity:

Before peel - if I look white here, that's due to the sunblock!
To be honest, I think I would be the only one who take pictures of myself with
a face like this.
After peel, my face feels incredibly tight! I think I might start peeling by day 3!If you're wondering what happened to my old products, I've returned them and got my refund. :)


For complete details of my progress in using the Three Fix kit, click here.
For the history on me battling acne, click here.


Note: THIS IS NOT AN AD. MY DAD IS MY SPONSOR.

No comments:

Post a Comment