Macaroni Salad

If you invite my dad to a picnic, barbecue, housewarming, or block party this time of year, odds are good he'll show up with a macaroni salad. He'll wheel it around in a cooler and when the time is right, he'll flip the top and pull a cornflower blue bowl from the ice. The bowl is what I notice first, ceramic with a flower detail on the inside rim, it's part of a set of three my grandma left when she died a few years back. This one is medium-sized, and makes its appearance with plastic wrap across the top, secured with a rubber band. I love those bowls, and I'm extra careful when I wash them.

Macaroni Salad Recipe

I've had my dad's macaroni salad twice in the last ten days, and instead of sharing his version, which is the classic take on it - I was inspired to take a stab at my own version. I ended up making a sauce from lots of sauteed green onions (scallions). Pureed with a bit of pasta water they're creamy without the cream or mayo. Beyond that, I added diced apple, lots of black pepper, arugula, and lemon juice as well. And I stopped there. But I suspect any number of other additions would be good - Marcona almonds, dried apricots in place of the apple, and if you can't be convinced macaroni salad is worth eating without mayo in the mix, a dollop would do the job. An alternative to the mayo would be a bit of salted plain yogurt, or creme fraiche. It works great on day-old macaroni salad, when you need to moisten things up a bit.

The last thing I'll add here is this. You really need to taste and adjust as you toss this salad. I've shared general amounts, but keep adding pepper, or lemon juice, or salt until the flavors really pop off the pasta. It'll happen. Under-season and you end up with a flat-tasting salad. :/

Continue reading Macaroni Salad...


No comments:

Post a Comment