Homemade Churros with warm dark chocolate sauce

IMG_3932

Once upon a time, as a young youth with frizzy hair and giant teeth, I went to Disneyland with my family.

We went on rides. I saw Michael Jackson as Captain EO, and tried to replicate his dance moves for the rest of the day. We got popcorn, I secretly made faces at other children standing in line (I was not trying to make friends I was simply being a major weirdo), and I remember some sort of parade. Theres always a parade at Disneyland.

We watched watch the Abraham Lincoln show, which as a young youth is the most boring thing I could possibly experience. We stood there as a statue of President Lincoln was illuminated and some prerecorded speech about freedom was played. I think maybe I dont remember this correctly. Since I was not shoveling sour candies into my face, I was sure that this show was going to make my eyes bleed from boredom. I was sure it was possible.

Just after the show, as we were exiting, my aunt (who has always been the pillar of clumsiness) stumbled down the stairs and sprained her ankle. Good grief, I thought. I totally should make my mom buy me sour balls for having to endure this inconvenience to my funtime awesomeday.

Do you know what happens when you fall at Disneyland (back in the 1980s before everyone sued everyone else)?? Ill tell you its awesome:

They take you to the backstage/secret/red alert/ whats even back there anyway/ Disneyland area. The place where Goofy walks around without his head on, and Snow Whites could care less, and Tinkerbell is smoking a cigarette (ok that didnt happen but I SO wish it did)!!! They take you and your family backstage, and sit you down, and give you juice, and ask you if youre ok, and bring you medical attention AND YOU GET TO SEE GOOFY WITHOUT HIS HEAD ON!!! Clearly this! left a lasting impression on me. as a young youth.

What do kids have these days? Lawsuits and Disney cruises. Pffft. Weak.

Anyway Um.

Churros remind me of Disneyland.

So. yea.

IMG_3949

photo

This churros recipe might be different than anything youve ever made.

These are my notes I know, a little kooky.

There will be several point throughout this recipe where you might curse my name, and insist that Ive made you mess up a recipe and waste ingredients.

Dont yell. I cant hear you.

We can get through this together. Promise.

IMG_3867

We start my boiling water, butter, sugar, and salt.

If this feels weird thats because it is. Melt down these ingredients, whisk em up, and turn the heat to low.

With me?

IMG_3877

Over low heat, stir the flour into the hot butter mixture. Stir it up with a spatula. Do not freak out.

Stir through the lumps. Keep the pan over low heat. Trust in the process. After about 30 to 45 seconds, the mixture will form a loose ball, like the one pictured above.

Phew! You did it!

IMG_3883

Lets stir in the eggs. You might freak out again. Stay with me.

Place the dough into a large bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring in with a spatula.

IMG_3887

Halfway through stirring in the eggs, the batter will look like this. I know not cool. Keep stirring.

IMG_3892

This will happen. This is exactly what you want to happen.

Sticky, eggy dough. Perfect.

IMG_3901

Youll need a large star tip and a pastry bag, or big ZipLock bag.

IMG_3921

Oh! And scissors too!

See, youll squeeze the batter into the hot oil, and slice the dough off with the kitchen scissors.

Totes.

photo

Theyre a little funny looking.!

B y funny looking, I mean totally delicious!

photo

Oh. also my cat is INSANE.

IMG_3941

After being tossed in cinnamon and sugar, these churros are the perfect food.

I like these dipped in warm chocolate sauce but I like everything dipped in warm chocolate sauce. So. Yea.

Homemade Churros and Hot Dark Chocolate

makes about 20 small churros

from The NY Times

For the Churros:

canola or vegetable oil, for frying

1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup all-purpose flour

3 large eggs

For the Chocolate Sauce:

1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks

scant 1 cup heavy cream

pinch of salt

1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)

Add enough oil to a large saucepan or deep skillet to measure 2-inches deep. Attach a candy/deep fry thermometer to to side of the pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cups sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter, water, 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add flour all at once. Quickly stir together with a spatula until no lumps remain, and the mixture begins to form a ball. This will take about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from heat and place loose dough ball in a large bowl.

With a spatula, beat the eggs into the dough one egg at! a time. The mixture may appear to be a broken mess, but keep stirring. Keep the faith.

After the eggs are added, the mixture will be slightly gummy and slightly thick. Thats perfect.

Spoon batter into a large pastry, or strong Ziplock bag with a Aceto 829 (large open star) tip attached.

Heat the oil, over medium heat, to 350 degrees F.

Carefully pipe about 4 inch long dough segments into the hot oil. Use a pair of kitchen sheers to cut the dough from the star tip. Its hard not to splash yourself with hot oil, just be as careful as possible.

Fry dough for 5 to 7 minutes. This might seem like a long time, but the dough through the center needs to cook through. The churros will be a deep golden brown, and may split slightly when cooked. Keep an eye on the timer. Remove churros from hot oil and place on a paper towel. After slightly degreased, toss in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on a plate to serve.

To make the chocolate sauce:

Place chocolate chunks, pinch of salt, and espresso powder (if using) in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil. Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate pieces. Let rest for 1 minute before whisking. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Serve warm with warm churros.

Churros are best served just after they are fried. So much yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment