Review: Lunch @ Bistro Vue, Lt Collins St, Melbourne CBD

It's been a long while since I've written a review. I have not been going out for what appears to be weeks. Why? If it is not for essays, then it's piles of readings. Now, there's revision to do. My life is amazing, I know. Yet, after submitting my 2500 word essay on how 9/11 impacted Sino-American relations vis-a-vis Taiwan (I wrote 2750 words due to the 10 percent leeway), I feel that I MUST TREAT myself to a NICE LUNCH.

And I've picked Bistro Vue as the place to go. Why?

1. I haven't been there before despite having dined at the two other Vues

2. I'm curious about Bistro Vue. I've used their toilet a couple of times when I was lunching at Cafe Vue.

3. Being the "middle child", between the younger Cafe Vue and older Vue de Monde, I wonder how will it fare?

4. The decor. Seriously, how can one not fall in love with this:




Being there makes you feel as if you're not in this time! Exactly what I need! An escape from 2011 student life and pretend to be somebody else in a different setting!

As usual, I have my pretty dining companion with me.


She looks so pretty, I feel horribly ugly. Speaking about pimply face, y'all!Bistro Vue's menu is straightforward and fuss free. Things can be reasonable to incredibly pricey. It depends on what you want.



We started off with some wholewheat baguette. It's crusty on the outside, soft and moist on the inside. They were served warm but take heed, one must consume it quickly. They cool easily.


We had it with some butter. I won't say that the butter was mind-blowing or something. I've had better butter elsewhere...


My sister ordered truffle pasta. The pasta was done al dente, good news. Unfortunately, the strong parmesan killed the delicate flavor of the truffle. Nonetheless, the sauce was good to go with the baguette. It's quite a rich offering but the small portion saved our appetites from getting whacked.



I ordered a Premium Cut of the Week that comes with either pomme frites or salad and a dressing of your choice. This slice of wagyu is from the famous David Blackmore farm. The cut is graded with a score 9. I should have asked them to show me the meat. :) It would be interesting.

I had my medium rare steak with truffle mustard. The truffle was prominent in the mustard, thank god! The steak was not too fatty but the part that my sister had was a little on the fat side. She was quite unhappy. I was on the other hand, in meat bliss! The w! agyu tas ted nothing like common beef. In fact, it had this subtle taste of corn and wheat.

As usual, the chips were delicious. They were not soggy, very crispy and not oily at all. :) Chips at places like these are certainly different! I don't normally eat chips but I will have chips at Vue de Monde or Bistro Vue anytime!



For desserts, my sister ordered our all time favorite (we had it before at Vue de Monde), Chocolat Au Biscuit. It's half the size of the one at Vue de Monde but still, it was very gratifying for the senses.



Did I mention, it is visually appealing? Seeing the chocolate goo puddle beneath the crisp chocolate layer makes me want to devour the entire thing!



My sister also ordered madeleines that comes with honey ice cream. The honey ice cream is very delicious but we had the madeleines with the chocolate sauce from the other dessert. The madeleines are not too sweet and has a nice hint of lemon essence in it. Nonetheless, I preferred the one I had in High Tide. The madeleines in High Tide KL (now defunct)is unforgettable!


To sum up, I feel that I had a decent meal at Bistro Vue bu! t it is unlikely that I would go back there. I still prefer Cafe Vue and Vue de Monde. The service here is impeccable, but in terms of price, I feel that it borders on expensive although it lacks the wow factor of its elder sibling, Vue de Monde.

Anyway, I'm going to have a pre-birthday celebration with my parents and sister at the new Vue de Monde in Rialto. :) Yes, peeps. They are moving to Rialto. Operation will start on the 20th of June. I'm having lunch at VDM on the 21st of June. Hopefully, there will be no teething problems and kitchen dysfunctions. That would mark my first birthday lunch. When I'm in New York, Boston and Washington, I'll have lots of birthday lunches. Unfortunately, that would have to happen without my family members. :(


Little things:

-Cuisine: French, European

-Service: Very friendly and prompt.

-Ambience: Being there feels like you are in a very quaint, old school French cafe.

-Portions: For my standards, reasonable. One mains and one dessert. Enough to fill my stomach.

-Budget: My bill was a whopping 148 AUD, thanks to the wagyu. Most mains go about 30-40 ish. Desserts and appetizers are around 15-20 ish.

-There's a more affordable set lunch that goes for 35 AUD per pax. Comes with a special of the day, a salad or chips (?) and a glass of wine.

Bistro Vue on Urbanspoon


My new favorite song:


No comments:

Post a Comment