The Caxton Hotel @ Milton, Brisbane



There are certain days where you just don't feel like eating (which can be a rather rare event for me) and then there are some days when in my exact words to the Wife "I want to stuff myself silly until I puke".


Twas that night I declared that I would like to stuff myself silly with steak and dived into the thick Entertainment Book for some offers.


The Caxton Hotel while not the best place for steak according to Urbanspoon was really the best of the lot in the book with its buy 1 free 1 main offer.


With that we rounded up friends who had the book and off we strolled to Caxton Street.


P1020029




The Char Grill at Caxton Hotel is not fine dining and it shows with the affordable wine list. I believe the Shiraz which was surprisingly palatable only cost around AUD30-40.

With expectations that the mains would be huge, we skipped the entrees and went straight for the steak.


P1020036


As part of the meal, a salad to assist in digesting the protein.


P1020044

A house specialty -Scotch Fillet & Seafood Combo
Juicy & Tender Scotch Fillet accompanied by Moreton Bay bug & king prawns then served with a freshly made hollandaise sauce AUD35.90

The lady could bare handle half the plate which meant more for me but wait till you see what I ordered below.

P1020048

Although you can't really see how big the steak was from the picture, I be happy to report I ordered thePrime Rib Eye of Beef on the Bone (500g) - AUD35.90.

Although the Beef Jus was overly reduced, the meat was cooked to my liking and those crispy chips was heaven on earth; ideal for a pigging (cowing) night.

Happy to say that despite the online reviews saying that this was a mediocre place, we liked it, I suppose it helps when the place was barely half full and we "technically" paid full price for our steaks. I have heard service is bad and long waiting times if you go on their weekday special nights when steaks are half price.


There is parking at the premises or theres always the 2 hour free parking up at the Barracks.

Address and contact details:

Caxton Hotel on Urbanspoon

Verd ict: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars. No fine dining place but certainly representative of the pub culture which features quite prominently in Brisbane; meaning big chunks of steak and chips washed down with beer or/and wine. Best bet might be to come on a night where there are no specials so that there is less of a crowd and more attention is paid to cooking your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment