The Fish of Alaska

sitka alaska sustainable fishing

Sitka Lake

When you are invited by the Alaskan Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI) to participate in a Seafood Culinary Retreat during which you will go fishing to learn about Alaskas wild and sustainable fishing industry, youll sample amazingly fresh wild Alaskan seafood and stay on a private island, its hard to say no. The people who invited me didnt know it, but Alaska had always been a place I was dreaming to visit one day.

Of course, I was tempted.

So I said yes-and I traveled to Alaska.

And was amazed by what I learned and discovered.

Reminded of the power and natural beauty found in Nature.

This post is divided into seven pages, so make sure to click on the page numbers at the bottom of each page to read the complete story. Im hoping this will make it easier to enjoy long posts like this one.

Alaska fishing sustainable tartine gourmande

Alaska

I had always imagined that in Alaska, I would find atmospheric landscapes, with snow-capped mountains hiding behind thick layers of fog; glaciers that take us back to ancient times; forests where ever green trees stretch high up in the sky; infinite bodies of wate! r; abundance of fish, and authentic faces that witness of the connection to the earth.

They were all there, surrounding us.

talon lodge alaska

The last time I fished happened in France with my school friend Patricia, when she and I caught une truite (trout) in the small tang (pond) near the village. I was ten years of age then, and remember how proud I had felt walking home with my catch in hand.

Needless to say that I felt pretty lucky to be part of this new fishing adventure! And in Alaska nonetheless!

alaska fishing tartine gourmande sitka

Located at the northwest tip of the North American continent, Alaska is the largest state in the United States. In 1867, Americans buy the land from Russia. In 1959, Alaska becomes the 49th American state with its own constitution.

I learned that Alaska is the only state in the nation with a constitutional mandate that requires sustainability of its fish and wildlife resources.

Which means that, fishing is highly regulatedto be able to fish, you need to obtain a fishing license; each person has a quota determining how many fish can be caught each day.

In return, this ensures that resources will never be depleted; there will always be more fish to catch in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment