Japanese Strawberry Cream Shortcake

Only a few short years ago, I didn't know why strawberry shortcakes here were not the crumbly, scone-like real shortcake shortcake. Turned out that the Japanese, lover of all things cute and girlish, came up with a strawberry and cream sponge cake (usually flavored with kirsch or other liqueurs) that is completely different from the American shortcake (poor Americans, now their shortcake is not the only shortcake around). I love both types. American shortcake is the first dessert I ate in America as a student visiting from Canada when my aunt Lucia made dinner. I thought it was the best thing I had eaten in years (sorry, Canadians, all I could afford was cakes from Safeway so anything else made a huge impression). And really, the two different shortcakes show the contrast in taste between westerners and easterners when it comes to cakes, although more and more of my friends are demanding more than just 'airy moussy nothingness'--my term for most cakes sold here. Westerners prefer cakes that are sweeter, more substantial in texture and more depth in flavor while easterners perfer super light, less sweet, very soft and delicately-flavored cakes. I like both. That makes me a Wasterner.

DSC_7472_397x600a

DSC_7470_800x530a

One more seat left for tomorrow's baking class. Japanese strawberry cream cake will be one of the cakes you'll learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment