Review: Desserts @ Cacao Green, Swanston St, Melbourne CBD


Frozen yogurt is the new black. Like the macaron fever, frozen yogurt stalls are popping up everywhere. There's one in my uni, one in QV and apparently a few scattered over the inner Melbourne suburbs. There are more but I cannot be bother to list them out. Unlike macarons, I did not bother to try out frozen yogurt. I was just not caught into the hype. Until, I had first frozen yogurt at Washington. I will surely write about that memorable first but to be honest, it did nto get me into the hype just yet.

Until, I discovered Cacao Green, a dessert/coffee chain store that originates from Korea. Apparently, they have a sister brand known as Red Mango.

Pep talk aside, I am smitten by the dessert selection at Cacao Green. Most of the offerings are not too sweet. Plus, it does not taste artificial. They really live up to their promise to deliver natural flavors. They also support the organic and fair trade movement. I've bought a block of chocolate made from fair trade approved cacao beans from Cacao Green. I can't say if fair trade cacao beans makes chocolate tastes better but at least, you know that what you are consuming is sustainable produce. :)

My sister and I both frequent this place a lot, together andseparately. She has tried the hot chocolate drink and being the dark chocolate lover she is, she approves of this place. She claims that it is not too sweet and is filled with chocolate. Also, she notes that there is a nice acidic hint from the chocolate. However, she did claim that it really depends on what type of chocolate that you like. You may like it if you are huge on dark chocolate with a citrusy note.



Choco late frozen yogurt with fresh fruits.I, on the other hand, cannot get enough of the frozen yogurt here. Two of the flavors that I recommend are dark chocolate and green tea. You can choose from a range of toppings to go with your frozen yogurt. If you are a health freak, the fresh fruit selection may appeal to you. :)

The frozen yogurt here is smooth. Unlike other frozen yogurt, which are usually too sweet, the ones at Cacao Green are a little on the sour side because that's how yogurt tastes like.


Half size signature chocolate waffle with a small serving of green tea frozen yogurtAnother dish I recommend is the half size signature chocolate waffle. Half size because one should not overindulge on desserts. :D

The waffle here is the crispy type. I prefer crispy waffles over eggy, soft ones because of the texture. Also, it being crispy makes a delightful contrast with the creamy green tea froyo. The chocolate is prominent in the waffle, so chocolate lovers will not be disappointed. Another plus is that the waffle is not oily at all.

As you know, I am currently on a "dessert sanction" due to my skin condition and I have to avoid really sugary and highly processed foodas much as possible. However, with places like Cacao Green, I need to worry less.


Little things:

-Service: Prompt. But be prepared to wait if there is a crowd.

-Ambience: Can get a bit noisy. You can choose to sit out or in. I prefer in because you can observe some of the customers going in and out of that. place.

-Portion: Reasonable

-Budget: 4-8 AUD. Currently, they have a promotion. Like their Facebook page and get two toppings free. :) Check it out here.

-More information
Cacao Green on Urbanspoon


Some ear food:




Ideal song for relaxing. I was really high strung these days, thanks to two very difficult



This is from Joe Hisashi. One of my psych friends told me about this composer and I googled him up immediately, only to find beautiful music filling up the air I breathe.



I do not know the meaning of this song. I am not well versed in Korean, unlike my dongsaeng, but the melody is just so ahhhhhh... A bit like sipping on a mug of hot chocolate on a really cold day. Yes, that's how I feel. If you navigate around YouTube, you will find a lot of such songs. Makes me wonder why Korean music like this is not popular.



Another foreign song. I am hooked on this song ever since I started chasing after Queen Seondeok (I just love Mishil's eyebrows, what can I do?) , one of the more popular Korean dramas of Munhwa Broadcasting Company. I also become hooked on this singer's other songs. One of them include her covers of the songs that made K-pop popular around the world:










No comments:

Post a Comment