Spinach and Potato Breakfast Hash

IMG_1873

My produce dude at Whole Foods might know me just as well as some of my closest friends. Weve built quite the relationship.

Yea.. hes MY produce dude. Miguel gets to work at 4am.

Hes in the produce restocking business and he has to get his ducks in a row before 7am rolls around, and the store opens.

I saunter in around 7:30am. I generally have ridiculous bedhead, sunglasses on indoors, a scarf wrapped around my head, and lip gloss always lip gloss. Miguel has seen some truly unfortunate morning fashion choices. Maybe he judges. If so, at least he does so with kind eyes.

Maybe I look like one of those dishevelled, incognito super famous people except that Im not at all.

Miguel always greets me. We talk about what Im about to cook. He picks up an apple and slices it for me to sample. He tells me about how many beers he is going to drink when he gets off of work, and what hes going to do with his family over the weekend. Thats about as much conversation as I can muster at such an early hour.

I think he and I have high-fived once. I initiated it surely it was awkward.

He gave me a smushed avocado once, and I acted like he was giving me a brick of gold. Also awkward.

Photo1

I wonder what Miguel is doing right now.

Probably stacking potatoes and chatting up the girl that does her produce shopping everydayat 10:30am. She probably likes apple slices too.

Hm shes probably more chatty and less awkward. But Im probably cuter.

And yes Im t! otally c omparing myself to a fictional girl I just made up in my head. Whatevs. Im over it.

Photo1

Ill tell you what.

Tomorrow morning Id like you to saute some peppers, onions, and a bit of garlic. If nothing else just do this. If youre single, your neighbor will probably knock on your door and ask you to marry him/her. It smells good thats why.

Photo1

In this hash youll find sauteed peppers, onions, and garlic.

Theres also roasted potatoes, sauteed sausage (I used veggie sausage), and fennel seeds.

So delicious! So fragrant. Big, yummy breakfast food.

IMG_1863

Once all of the hash ingredients are pan fried and roasted, I tossed the warm hash with a few handfuls of fresh spinach. The warm hash will slightly wilt the greens. Topped with fried eggs I mean, come on! Share this breakfast with someone.

Take the scarf off your head and be a normal person for once.

Ok. That last sentence was totally just for me.

Enjoy with coffee. Eat a second helping. Take your vitamins.

Spinach and Potato Breakfast Hash

makes 2 large or 4 small servings

Print this Recipe!

1 green! bell pe pper, diced into medium chunks

1 medium yellow onion, diced into medium chunks

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes (russet or new potatoes will also be great), cut into bite-size chunks

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided

6 ounces sausage, cooked and sliced (I used vegetarian chipotle sausage) (pork or chicken sausage would also be great)

1 heaping teaspoon fennel seeds

salt and pepper to taste

2 cups baby spinach leaves

2 to 4 eggs, fried to desired doneness

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Place diced potatoes on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake potatoes for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Poke the potato chunks with a fork, if theyre tender theyre done.

While potatoes are baking, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. (Wait! Now would be a great time to cook your sausage if its raw. Cook through and remove from the pan, then follow the next steps). Add the diced peppers and onions and cook until browned and broken down, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as it cooks. Add the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from pan and place in a bowl to the side.

When potatoes are done roasting, remove from the oven.

Return the pan you cooked the onions and peppers in to a medium flame. Add the sliced, cooked sausage and potatoes. Pan fry until the sausage and potatoes have crispy bits on them. Add the fennel seeds. Stir. Add the onion and pepper mixture and fold to incorporate. Remove from the flame and add spinach leaves. Toss to incorporate and wilt the leaves.

Transfer the hash to a serving dish. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. Fry as many eggs and youd like and serve over hash.

This has will last for up to 4 days in the fridge. Its also really delicious mixed with black beans and salsa for dinner. With tortillas a! nd chees e amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment