Recipe: Yukgaejang () - Spicy beef and vegetable soup

I don't usually cook beef or eat beef but in order to taste Yukgaejang, the Korean spicy beef and vegetable soup, I went to buy, cook and eat beef. If my dad hears about this, he will send me figurative Anthrax 4000 miles away via Express Post. The reason why my entire family don't consume beef is due to religious purposes. However, I secretly knew that we are indirectly consuming beef because it is good for making a very rich and potent stock. I just did not want to say anything about it. Also, I found out a long time ago that Buddhists can consume beef.

I first knew about Yukgaejang through Korean restaurants but have not thought of wanting to try it. Just one day, I decided to cook this soup, which is commonly served in funerals. It sounds a bit dark and dingy, but I assure you, Yukgaejang can be consumed at home too. :) I guess that it is served in funerals because it is comforting for the belly and the soul.

Like any Korean dishes, Yukgaejang is very balanced. It has the right amount of meat and vegetables and involves ingredients that stimulate the five senses. At this point, you might think that I'm bullshitting but I'm not. I watched a NatGeo documentary on Korean cuisine, that's what they said too.

The traditional ingredients for Yukgaejang are soy/mung bean sprouts, green onions, Bracken fern (Kosari), Taro stem (Torandae) and beef. As usual, I added a bit of my personal touch into this stew. Just because I can.


Kosari, Torandae, Green onions, Mung bean sprouts, Cloud Ear Fungus, Soaked Dried Shitake Mushrooms

Recipe: Yukgaejang (Serves 4) - the original recipe can be read at Aeri's Kitchen
Ing redients:

A: Vegetables
-A large handful of dried kosari, boiled in 8 cups of water for 30 minutes, soaked overnight in pot
-A large handful of dried taro stems, boiled in 8 cups of water for 30 minutes, soaked overnight in pot
-300 grammes of mung/soy bean sprouts, rinsed in warm water
-2 spring onions, chopped into 1 cm lengths
-About 12 dried shitake mushroom, soaked overnight and rinsed
-About 4 dried cloud ear fungus, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes and rinsed

B: Stock
-8 cups of filtered water
-600 grammes of organic gravy beef (Boiled for 5 minutes in hot water and rinsed in cold water)
-8 Jujubes
-2 spring onions, chopped into 1 cm lengths
-1 knob of ginger, skin peeled, sliced thinly
-3 cloves of garlic, skin removed, crushed
-8 cups of water
-12 peppercorns
-A dash of Chinese rice wine (Just because I can)
-A teaspoon of LKK chicken bouillon powder (Extra kick)

C: Sauce
-3 teaspoon of gochujang ( I prefer using this over chili powder)
-1 teaspoon of sesame oil
-3 tablespoon of soy sauce ( Use something potent, like Kikkoman, not Bidor Kwong Heng!)
-2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
-1 teaspoon of ground white pepper + ground black pepper
-A few drops of fish sauce
-A tablespoon of Cooking sake/ Chinese rice wine
-A few drops of lemon vinegar

D:
-An egg, beaten
-A pinch of pepper
-Some sesame seeds



Stock

Instructions:

To prepare stock:

1. In a pot, bring 8 cups of filtered water to boil. Then, place all ingredients from list B into pot. Since the beef is boiled for 5 minutes before hand, by right, there should not be any foam on the top. If there is foam, skim them off. This gives the stock a cleane! r flavor . Boil for 40-50 minutes on medium heat.

2. After 50 minutes, strain the stock, discard all ingredients except for beef. Chop the beef up into thin slices

To prepare vegetables,

3. Meanwhile, chop kosari, fernbrake into 2 cm lengths, and cut the black fungus into small pieces. Place all of the vegetables from list A into a large, deep pan.

To prepare sauce,

4. Mix all of ingredients C together. Stir well.

To prepare the soup,

5. Pour sauce into the pan where the vegetables are. Mix well using hands (wear gloves or your hands will burn!) or two large mixing spoons. Marinate for 20 minutes. Then, turn on heat. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Pour stock into pan. Boil for 20 minutes.

6. Beat an egg, distribute into soup. Reduce heat. When the egg is cooked, turn off heat. Serve with rice and kimchi. If you want, have it with some steamed mandu (dumplings).



Looking good
Final touch - A prinkle of sesame seeds and more pepper


Now I can proudly said that I've made yukgaejang. It's not the most authentic yukgaejang, as it has no chili oil and powder. Also, I've added wine and stuff like that. Not sure if Koreans who are reading blog will be happy with this. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the taste. My sister loves it immensely. The gravy beef is surprisingly sweet and very high in collagen. The soup is very hearty and flavorful.


You guys should try this someday. It seem tedious but it's not very difficult to make. Out of 10, I rate it 4 in t! erms of difficulty.







I'm currently addicted to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment