Sawadee Ka @ West End, Brisbane

Public holidays in Malaysia are fun simply because it is a day off work and you get to roam around in the shopping centres and dine where ever you want.


However, I can't really say the same about public holidays in Australia. Their idea of a public holiday is that buying meats and booze the day before and chilling out with a BBQ. On most, if not all public holidays, no shopping centres are opened, restaurants come with a 10-15% surcharge and we end up sitting at home, rotting in front of the TV.


I can't remember which public holiday it was, either Easter or Labour Day, when we decided we will drive down to West End for the sake of driving and find a place for lunch.


Sawadee Ka stood out like a sore thumb, simply it was one of the only two or three restaurants opened that day. A colleague of the Wife had recommended the place, however knowing the local taste buds ; one have to be skeptical and simply can't expect the best.


Since it was lunch, it was a very simple menu, with a few choices of curries and rice and noodles. We never got to look at the full fledged dinner menu.

P1020024


I judge Thai food by their Pad Thai, probably one of thequintessential Thai dish in my eyes (one can argue otherwise). Surprisingly, this was rather good, not the best I had but certainly better than some that I have had.

P1020023

Unfortun! ately th e Green Curry Beef was somewhat a disaster. The curry was too creamy, sweet and not much of a spicy kick coupled with rather dry pieces of beef, I don't see myself ordering this again.

Having tried only two dishes and furthermore lunch dishes, I can't really say if this would be the last visit. If I am desperate enough, I might give it another go during dinner. However at 10 dollars a dish, it is a worthwhile option for lunch.

Address and contact details:

Sawadee Ka on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 3 stars out of 5 stars. Nothing too shocking since we only tried two of their simple dishes, an option if you are in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment