La tartelette

gluten free crust tartelette

Tartelette

I am so inspired by my visits to the farm, I told my father on the phone.

Without seeing his face, I could feel he was finding my words amusing.

My father grew up on a farm with tractors, cows and horses. And I grew up following my grandmother in the large garden she kept at the back of the house, to see the chicken and rabbits, and fetch salad, saucissons and pts whenever we stayed over for dinner. The best Ive ever eaten to this day.

Comment cela ? (How so?) he asked. Tu nas qu venir nous voir! (Come and visit us!)

Bientt, (soon) I responded. Id just uttered the words that already I felt impatient to as images of France in the spring, cherry trees and poppyseed fields crossed my mind.

Bientt, I said once more. Mais pas maintenant. (Not now).

Poppy seed field in my home village in France

We have a lot to look forward to here at the moment, I added.

I really meant it.

I was thinking about all of these things: The transition to Spring (so happy to see all of the snow melted!) that I dont want to miss; settle more in our house (a.k.a. empty boxes and tidy the mess that is still around); plant a garden; and introduce Lulu, step by step, to glimpses of the beautiful farm life that surrounds us. I know she can appreciate it already. If she finds moutons and poules irresistible, she is getting it. I would so much have loved that her great grandfather could watch her pet the goat and inquire about cows! and chi cken. He, too, would have found that amusing.

And then there is my book. And the final piece of work I have to do with it.

So you know, I am currently revising the proofs. And oh let me tell you how good that feels!

So much so.

As I flip through the pages and recall the many hours Ive worked behind the stove, in front of my laptop or behind the camera, I am simply moved.

So, to help, I visited farms. And do you know what? It really helped.

I had forgotten how adorable baby goats look when they play. I had forgotten how amazing witnessing the birth of a few baby lamb is.

Its incredible, I told Mia who kindly walked me through the farm when I came.

Lulu begs that we come every day, I went on, laughing. It feels like we belong here too.

I loved that idea, in fact. And knew wed come again and again.

The day of my visit, I cooked a tart. A savory tart.

I had leftovers of crust used for a savory tart recipe Id written for food author Ashley English, who had kindly invited me to collaborate to her upcoming ne! w cookbo ok.

Do you mind if it is gluten free? I asked her when she emailed me.

I love it!

Hence this was how this gluten free tart crust was born.

And then this savory tart, which I threw together quickly with what I had handy when I returned from the farm feeling hungry.

Dont ask but that type of food somehow connected me to my day on the farm even more.

It was exactly what I wanted to eat.

Tartelettes aux lgumes verts

For the crust:


You need:

  • 1/2 cup millet flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons xantham gum
  • 0.5 teaspoon sea salt
  • 7 tablespoons (100 g) cold butter, diced
  • 1 egg
  • 4 (or more as needed) tablespoons cold water

Steps:

  • In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flours, xantham gum and salt. Add the butter and use the pulse option to work this mixture into crumbles.
  • Add the egg and continue to pulse.
  • Add the water, one tablespoon at a time and work until the dough detaches from the bowl.
  • Transfer to a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Bring back to room temperature before using.


For the topping:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 large leek, white part only, finely chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini, finely grated
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, finely minced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup crme fraiche
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
  • 1 oz grated Comt cheese

Steps:

  • Preheat the oven to 400 F and garnish four 4.5-inch tartlet mold with the crustyou will have leftovers of dou! gh, whic h you can freeze or use for something else. Make small holes at the bottom of each with a fork and set aside.
  • In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When warm, add the leek and zucchini and ground coriander. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 3 more minutes, until soft but not brown. Stop the heat.
  • In a bowl, beat the eggs with the crme fraiche. Stir in the milk and fresh coriander. Add the cooked vegetables and stir in the Comt cheese.
  • Divide the vegetable batter between the tartlets and bake the tartlets for 25 minutes, or until the flan is set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving with a salad.
Share and Enjoy:PrintDiggdel.icio.usFacebookGoogle BookmarksTwitter


No comments:

Post a Comment