DC Cupcakes


Recently, I ventured down to DC to see the pandas. I've been dying to see them. They are my favorite animal, and since they are endangered, there are only three places in the US you can see them: Atlanta, San Diego, and DC. I had to check off see a panda off of my bucket list (duckbill platypus is still on there) but then discovered that DC is home to three amazing cupcake bakeries. Smile.

The first cupcake joint is where all the locals go. Baked and Wired is a fun, bohemian bakery with a plethora of delights with names like kick in the bees, menage a trois, Debbie Harry (a blondie), hippie crack, and chocolate cupcake of doom. I tried the Debbie Harry because I love Blondie so much. But my favorite as well as their bestseller: OMG. Caramel s'mores bar. Wow. I felt right at home here, the tongue and cheek nature is inspiring and a fun diversion from the mainstream.


Now my favorite cupcakes I have tried there were actually Georgetown Cupcakes. I had six: red velvet, mint cookies and cream (my favorite), lemon blossom (amazing jolt to the head), coconut (heavenly), chocolate lava fudge (you'll need a toothbrush) and birthday (my go to flavor). The icing was fresh and the cake was moist.
But as you probably know, this is a location of the new TLC program, DC Cupcakes. And because of that, no matter what time of day you go there, you'll have to deal with 45 minutes of this:
Yeah, not cool. But apparently you can order ahead and they ship.

But if that is too much, go to Sprinkles down the street. This is originally from L.A. and is owned by that one judge from Cupcake Wars, whatever her name is. I've been dying to go to the west coast to try them but my school destroys my hopes, dreams, and mental health every time. Luckily they were here.

And yes, they were good. The frosting was thick and the cake had a prominent flavor. I had the red velvet (truly one of the best i have had except it was green for St. Patrick's day), carrot cake, and Irish cream. Worth the three dollars.
Now that I think about it, why is DC so obsessed with cupcakes? There are cookies and ice cream. Guess they are not political.

No comments:

Post a Comment