What to Do with Leftover Herbs

IMG_2329

I have a real problem with leftovers. Ive theyre contained and refrigerated for more than a night I am generally more than pleased to forget theyve ever existed. Actually I should say that I do have patience for sexy leftovers. Sexy leftovers Im inclined to, not only not forget about, but to wake up in the middle of the night to snack on.

Sexy leftover include pizza, lasagna, and basically anything else Garfield that Cat might consume in excess.

Beyond the weird amounts of brown rice and salsa I have lazing around in my fridge, I sometimes have a shameful amount of fresh herbs wilting away, asking for forgiveness and such. I feel so guilty wasting these herbs that Ive taken a stand, put my foot down, and busted out my olive oil.

IMG_2235

Were quick preserving fresh herbs and garlic in olive oil. This will create a wonderfully flavorful oil, and extend the life of the herb were about to throw away.

I should note, this is not the kind of oil you make, put in a fancy jar, and let sit on the counter for months on end. Oh no oh no oh no. This is not that! This oil needs to be kept in the refrigerator to keep any weird bacteria from acting up.

IMG_2263

What will you flavor your oil with? Have any thyme or rosemary on hand? Some garlic? Smash it! Some black pepper? Crack it!

For thi s infused oil, I used my very favorite everyday olive fromCalifornia Olive Ranch. Its fragrant and flavorful. Its a fruity olive oil, which is to say that its rich, buttery and grassy. I use this olive oil for both sauteing and drizzling. It feels like an everyday treat. Ps No one is paying me to say this.

IMG_2286

Allow oil to meld in the fridge for a day or so. The oil will last up to four or five days. In the meantime use it on absolutely everything! Pasta, eggs, toast, as a pre-dinner bread dip. Whatever you fancy!

herb oil egg

If youve got butter on hand instead of olive oil, you might try this Super Herb Butter.

The Kitchn has some super great suggestions: leftover herbs in Simple Syrup and leftover herbs in Olive Oil Ice Cubes.

Waste not, want not. and whatnot.

Thyme and Garlic Olive Oil

Print this Recipe!

1/4 cup olive oil

2 cloves garlic, smashed and skins removed

2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, rubbed from their stems and coarsely chopped

about 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients together and store in a small, airtight container. Be sure to store this oil in the refrigerator when youre not! using i t. Use it on everything from fried eggs, to pizza, pasta, and toast. Oil will last up to 5 days in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment