Rose Water Pistachio Fruit Salad

IMG_6920

It couldnt have been easy to be my mother. I was shy, stubborn, and resistant to change. Id observe a national day of tantrums every time she cut my hair. I was obsessed with Julia Child, Lucille Ball, and McDonalds every McDonalds we drove by. Obsessed. And I was (capslock) pissed when my little sister was born. Just livid.

photo

Its still not easy to be my mother. Im still shy, stubborn, and resistant to change. My mom knows not to approach my head with a pair of scissors in her hands. Im still really into Julia Child. I enjoy Lucille Ball and if one were to hand me McDonalds fries Id sure as heck eat them. These things are all still realities, its just that my Mom doesnt have to live with it all up in her house everyday.

I love this photograph of me and my mom. In this picture shes the age that I am now which isnt stressful to me at all. (Realtalk: its just a teeny tiiiny bit stressful.)

IMG_6883

My mama is wonderful. And booooyy does she love making a fruit salad. Thats totally a mom thing, right?

This mom inspired fruit salad is the real deal. No overripe bananas. No mushy pear. No unripe melon. No apple!

Berries, ripe watermelon, and grapes because we should. This is top shelf mom business!

IMG_6903

Because this salad is on a train for MomTown (really, Joy!? ugh), we should add some bonus bits: salty pistachios, edible flower petals, and rose water!

Pistachios add a salty crunch and a color thats completely out of this world. I love the way that rose water absorbs into the strawberries and watermelon its beautifully fragrant. Like dreams! Edible flowers, like marigold and pansy petals add just a bit of lady appeal.

fancy fruit salad

Mom salad with a small side of rosewater whipped cream. Just dont tell her I put it on the floor to take a picture of it.

Im going to put a printable link on the recipe, but you really dont need it! Keep it loose! This salad is all improvisation. Mamas LOVE improvisation, except when it comes to moving out of the house, going to college, or eloping.

The Fanciest Fruit Salad

serves as many as youd like. the more people, the more fruit.

Print this Recipe!

strawberries, sliced

watermelon, cubed

blackberries or blueberries

green or purple grapes, cut in half if youre fancy

a few teaspoons of rosewater

a good handful of shelled pistachios

a good sprinkling of fresh edible flower petals

Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve cold.

For an added bonus, whip 1/2 cup heavy cream with 1 heaping tablespoon powdered sugar and a good dash of rose water. Whip to soft peeks and serve alongside the fruit salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment