Brasserie Bread @ South Melbourne

Back in Brisbane, there were two spots where we would buy our bread for the week; either at a French bakery that we walk past after our Sunday morning walk or at (surprise, surprise) another French bakery that was a 5 minute drive away. There were also one or two bakeries that I would occasionally visit too.


Coming to Melbourne, one of the first few things we wanted to do is find a bakery that sells some good bread that we like and was convenient to visit. First on the list to try was Brasserie Bread, a brand coming from Sydney. The place is not exactly in the most obvious of places, hidden in a row of big warehouses on a quiet street of South Melbourne.


It is also a pity they don't open on Sundays, the day we usually buy our bread.


So one Saturday while waiting for my car to be serviced which was just around the corner, I decided to drop by for a bite and a loaf to go.


IMG_2109

Since I was going to sit for a while, I might as well start off with a latte. Decent but not the best in town.

IMG_2183-001

Looking around the menu, I couldn't go pass a croque monsieur. A simple toasted ham and cheese sandwich which had no cheese on the top. Not as heart clogging as some versions, it allowed me to have a proper taste of the sourdough they used. Like how they plated it on a wooden board.
< div>
When it came to taking away a loaf of bread, it took me a while but I eventually settled on a sour cherry sourdough loaf, one of the better loaf of breads we have had. It took a lot of discipline to ignore those almond croissants and hot cross buns too as there looked mouth watering.

Although I still have a few places to try, I think Brasserie Bread is clearly an option for our weekly source of bread, if only they open on Sundays.

Address and contact details:

Brasserie Bread on Urbanspoon

Verdict: 4 stars out of 5 stars. The sandwich and coffee was alright but the star was the sour cherry sourdough loaf I bought back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment