Life Essentials

IMG_5106

Ive been thinking a lot lately about what is essential.

Its hard to think of essential because very few things are actually, very completely, essential.

Let me give you a little peek into what I find essential these days. Some of these essentials are a edible, some are a luxury, some are sparkly its just a little bit of real life.

Essentials start in the kitchen with big bins of King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, sea salt in my Dads old Tupperware salt shaker, and these perfectly simple metal measuring spoons.

photo5

Heres a peek at my purse essentials. I LOVE a look inside strangers purses. Heres mine:

Eye glasses. Booth&Bruce, London.

Alba Tinted Lip Balm in Bloom.

Over-sized Timex. I love this watch so much.

Green snakey wallet from Banana Republic.

My favorite orange hair clip. My favorite flavor of Tootsie pop: orange.

Grid Paper Post-it Notes from Tracy.

Note pad for daily lists and skinny Sharpie marker they dont bleed theyre the best!! (not pictured).

aand the iPad. A total luxury.

Not pictured from the purse:

a cucumber, countless receipts, empty chapstick tube, chop sticks, garlic skins, socks. I dunno

photo1

I LOVE button down shirts. Totally classic. Plus! If youre feeling spunky, these shirts look great unbuttoned real low with a pretty bra. Im just sayin. I rock that look when Im just Joy not Joy the Baker. Joy the Baker buttons up proper.

These are JCrew. Swoon.

IMG_2683

Nail polish is an essential luxury.

Sally Hanson, Smooth and Perfect Satin. Essie, A Cut Above. Essie, As Gold as it Gets.

Simple. Girly. Sparkle pretty.

photo2

I celebrated my Moms birthday this week.

On your birthday, ice cream sundaes are essential, as are birthday candles. Mamas are also essential. Love you, Mom!

IMG_2699

I need to tell you a weird thing.

This is a little vintage glass that sits on my desk.

Late at night when Im tired of working on the computer, but still trudging though I decorate my computer with little gems, and I put a fox pin broach on my sweater.

Its just a thing I do.

photo7

Sunday morning at Church in Hollywood is essential.

What a blessing this place is to me.

photo4

Warm, brown sugar sweet grapefruit.

Broiled grapefruit reminds me of sleepovers, Florida, and riding a bike with no hands one of those weird childhood brain things.

photo3!

Friday night, glow-in-the-dark bowling is essential. Friday night, doing-anything-besides-sitting-on-the-computer is actually whats essential.

Ps Im a truly awful bowler. I stop caring after exactly three rolls.

IMG_1300

This cat animal has become essential to my life.

Monster.

IMG_5833

Potatoes are ESSENTIAL!!!

especially when theyre in Hasselback stylings with crazy homemade pesto.

salt and pepper

Salt and Pepper are totally essential.

I made these salted Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Cookies ages ago. They still have a soft spot in my heart.

IMG_8941_2

Lentils are essential. Cheap, mutable, delicious.

Also, Im hiding there in the spoon in my favorite pi! nk and r ed wrap skirt.

Wrap skirts are also essential. No biggie.

photo6

I took a company field trip (which means it was just me driving a car) to visit the photo studio of White on Rice Couple.

Two words: prop studio.

Aaaand I swoon.

IMG_5634

Flour+Sugar+Yeast+Lemon Zest=

Lemon Raspberry Breakfast Rolls.

Youll thank me. I know you will.

IMG_5149

Pie is essential. So tremendously essential. Its the first thing my dad taught me how to make, and its my absolute favorite thing to bring together in the kitchen.

Make an Apple Pie from start to finish. Its just one of those things that you should do at some point. Itll teach you about care, patience, love, and apples. That, indeed, is essential.

Very little is actually essential. I know.

But these are the things, both frivolous and delicious, that Im currently surrounded with.

There dont we feel like better friends now?


No comments:

Post a Comment