Joe can cook! Season 2 Episode 5: Chao Siew Yuk

I realised I might have jump the gun a little bit by not actually sharing with you guys my recipe for roast pork or siew yuk. Those who have been reading my blog or on my Facebook would know I have many experiences trying to perfect roast pork in my kitchen. From using vinegar to cutting the skin away to let it crackle by itself and not to mention using beer as well, I think I have found a compromise to a decent siew yuk. I won't say it is the best, I mean who am I kidding but it is pretty decent to say the least.


So when I make my next batch of siew yuk, I better remind myself to snap a picture or two and post the recipe up. Meanwhile what do you do with a whole slab of siew yuk and you don't want to finish it all (note don't want, not can't (because who can't finish a slab of roast pork))?


You stir fry them with loads of garlic, dark soya sauce, ABC sauce (sweet soy) and sugar.


P1020311


The idea is to caramelise them to the point of being sticky and we love ours sweet. If you don't, take away the sugar and adjust accordingly with some soy sauce instead.

I know this is meant to be a recipe of some sort but I usually do everything according to gut feel.

1. Firstly, cut up your pork belly into strips (if you haven' done so) - around 300-400 grams
2. Stir fry lots of garlic till there are brown and slightly crispy (I say 4 big size cloves, however if you use the more fragant but exorbitant Australian garlic, use less)
3. Throw in the pork belly. At this point, keep it on high heat and to! ss it fo r a while.
4. Put in the following; dark soya sauce, just enough to coat it black, sweet soya sauce, a good round or two, some brown sugar and toss away till everything is nice, hot and sticky.
5. Have a taste, if it's too sweet or not sweet enough, adjust accordingly.

Serve with some noodles and you are good to go!


P1020314

I am always wondering I am still fat. Still wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment