The Asus Transformer Prime Review

So heres the continuation of my Asus Transformer Prime review, with my previous thoughtsHEREwhere I have touched on the physical aspect of the tablet in terms of its looks, size and weight.

asus transformer prime-10

Now Im just going to compact my review into a table, answering all questions that I have got since I had the tablet. I have used it in meetings, bought it out with me to events and hang out at cafes with it.

asus transformer prime-2

asus transformer prime-3

asus transformer prime-1

Not surprisingly, the queries were pretty similar. I mean, everyone knows whats a tablet by now. Everyone can google for more information. But they want to know is, is it worth buying? How is it different from other tablets on the market? Basically they want assurance of the positive reviews of which they have read or they want confirmation of the negativity they have heard.

So here goes.

Questions & Answers:

Do you like it?

Yes, I do. I personally like t! ablets t his size and the screen resolution is amazing! Its solid feel and sleek exterior beats most other tablets on the market.

I think its too expensive. Most tablets are below RM2K

I think you get what you pay for. One is the Tegra3Quad Core processor, another is because it comes with the mobile dock.
Price is almost similar if you buy a tablet and then buy additional docking keyboard. This one fits perfectly, and charges the tablet for a few hours more once the battery runs low.
Bragging rights: Its the only tablet running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Can it replace a netbook/ultrabook?

Netbook yes. Ultrabook no.
It is essentially still a tablet, which functions as an additional peripheral. Not a laptop/work station. And it does not come with a full fledged operating system like Windows to handle desktop applications.

My suggestion solution?
Use the Polaris Office as it comes with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Else open up a browser & edit office applications with Google Docs.

What can you use it for?

Browsing, emailing, great for social share networks like Facebook and Twitter. Even blogging is not a problem. Light work using Polaris Office and Super Note.

Gaming, watching videos on youtube or movie clips.
Note: It cant play MKV files. We downloaded numerous different apps (free ones) and all played the video without sound!
In the end, I downgraded to watching MP4 videos. Jeez.

Light photo processing on photo gallery. No picasa though.
It comes with a SD card reader, so it was easy for me to transfer my pictures from the SD card to the tablet and update my blog on-to-go.

How is the camera?

Not bad for a tablet. Pictures are of quality expected of a tablet. Not advisable for night or low light shots, even with flash. Obviously an actual camera does the work better.

Specs:1.2MP (front)/8MP auto-focus (rear) with LED flash, large F2.4 aperture

Video: HD. Clear and sh! arp enou gh. Good enough for emergency use. Obviously youre not gonna make movies with this righttttttttttt?

WIFI/GPS issue

No problem for the WIFI for me. I have connected to many WIFI spots as Im on-the-go most of the time and never encountered any problems.

GPS:I didnt managed to use the GPS as Im so used to my Papago in the car. Everytime I use the GPS, it never occured to me to use the Prime.

Apparently an update from Asushas been released to fix this.

Interfaces

On the Pad:

2-in-1 audio jack (headphone/mic-in)
1x micro HDMI port
1x micro SD card reader
1 x internal microphone
1 x stereo speaker

Mobile dock:

1 x USB 2.0 port; 1 x SD card reader

Flash support

Yes

Hows the screen?

Fantastic! I love the superbly clear screen. Its alsohas a scratch resistant Corning Gorilla Glass surface so I didnt have to be gentle worry about scratches and screen protectors.

The back is not scratch resistant though, so a back cover is a must if youre anal about things like that.

External keyboard
On screen keyboard

It does taking some getting used to as Im always on a 13ultrabook.This is much smaller and I tend to make typos. It took me 2 weeks to get comfortable with it. Both were wonderfully responsive though.

asus transformer prime-2

Feel of the tablet

Wonderfully solid.

How do I charge the Prime?

1. Directly via the tablet.

2.Charge through the dock. Or just charge the dock and if you connect to tablet then the tablet gets charged as well as the dock.

How was the bundled software?

Polaris office was fine.
For photo processing and ga! mes and so forth, theres always the Android market.
Theres never a lack of apps to suit your needs on the Android market (free or paid ones)!

Why else should I consider the Transformer Prime over other brands?

The addition ultra-convenient ASUS webstorage with 8G life time FREE space for easy sharing & expandability.

Would you buy it?

No. An ultrabook, which is lighter and able to handle all processing tasks is more suitable for my hectic lifestyle.

Would you recommend this tablet to anyone whos looking into getting one?

Yes, if you are looking for an Andriod tablet.

So is there anything else that anyone would like to ask me? :)

IMG_5156 copy_resize


No comments:

Post a Comment