Double Battered Apple Doughnuts

IMG_0288

Given the choice between being home and not being home Im the girl that always chooses home.

Brooklyn is amazing. San Francisco is delicious. Baltimore is bonkers. Home is my heart. Home is where I keep my jar of Sharpie markers, my clean white sheets with the familiar smell, and my giant mankitten.

Home is also where I keep my fry thermometer and bowl of apples.

Home will come soon until then, I still have some new sights to put my eyes on. Until then please enjoy these fried apple things I made.

sf.bklyn.bmore

IMG_0229

Imagine what onion rings would taste like if they were made out of apples instead of onions and then topped with sugar.

Totally easy to imagine, mostly because its done and done right here.

IMG_0237

I never seem to have much luck with an apple corer. God made apple all wonky and crooked. The core never goes straight down. I use a small, 1-inch circular biscuit butter do chop the core out of apples.

See there? I just popped the holes out!

The beginning of apple doughnuts!

IMG_0264

This is a double battered creation. The first batter is a milky cinnamon sugar batter. This lays the base for the second batter crispy panko bread crumbs.

The milk batter adds sugar, spice and flavor, the panko bread crumbs keep the doughnuts crispy. Also anything double battered is inherently awesome.

IMG_0274

IMG_0277

They look just like onion rings, but theyre dessert!

Ps. I also consider onion rings to be dessert but maybe thats just me.

IMG_0328

I love to sprinkle these fried apples with powdered sugar, and serve hot out of the fryer. The batter is spiced and crunchy, the apple inside is tender with just a hint of crunch. Theyre cooked but still maintain a bit of crunch.

Crispy Apple Doughnuts

makes about 24 rings

Print this Recipe!

For the Panko:

!

2 cup s panko bread crumbs

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the Milky Batter:

1 cup flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk (I used 2% milk)

1 large egg

4 Fuji or Granny Smith apples

oil for frying

In a medium bowl, whisk together panko crumbs, sugar, and cinnamon. I like to use my fingers to crush the panko crumbs into a finer breadcrumb. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and whisk until no lumps remain. Set aside to rest while you peel and slice the apples.

Peel the apples and slice into about 1/3-inch thick rings. Use a small biscuit cutter to cut out the core. You can also peel the apples and use a apple corer to core the apple before slicing it into rings.

Soak apple slices in milky batter mixture. Set the panko mixture next to the milky batter. Heat a heavy bottom sauce pan with 2-inches of oil to 350 degrees F, measuring heat with a candy/fry thermometer.

When oil has reached 350 degrees F, use pair of tongs to remove a few rings from the milky batter, and coat in panko crumbs. Once throughly coated in crumbs, use tongs to carefully place rings in hot oil. Fry about 4 rings at once. Fry until golden brown, flip over and fry until golden. Remove from oil, place on a paper towel and fry the rest of the apple rings. Bring the oil back up to 350 degrees before adding additional apple slices.

Keep the fried apples warm in a 200 degree oven while the others fry. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment